Author Topic: 17 month old chooses breastfeeding over food  (Read 953 times)

Offline Micaiah'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
17 month old chooses breastfeeding over food
« on: December 23, 2005, 11:59:42 am »
just curiouse if any one has this problem.  DS wants to nurse instead of eat solids, he will eat a little cereal, snack and a couple bites of food, but thats it, he cries and cries to nurse.  Im a little tired!!!!!! he nurses all day long, and if you say no not right now, he will fall apart.  i got his blood work done, nutritionally he is doing awsome, im the one tired.  im wondering if i should start weaning? i dont want to, but maybe it will force him to eat solids.
stephanie/micaiahs mom
born July 25, 04
Touchy/Spirited lilcreature

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 19:37:07 pm »
Has he always been like this or is this recent? What has his pediatrician said about it?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 22:01:18 pm »
From what I have heard on another forum I belong to, this is absolutely normal although not quite convenient for a mom. There are many toddlers like yours who prefer nursing to eating, especially when they are picky eaters, breastmilk is the only food that keeps them going. My dd is still nursing quite a lot but she has been always an excellent eater too.

This might be a phase that will go away in a couple of weeks, especially if he is feeling insecure for some reason or is going through some changes in his life. But if it is something that has always been this way, he may be like that for quite a time. As far as I know, weaning will not make him eat much more, of course he would probably take a little bit more solids than now but he seems to be just such a picky eater and makes up with frequent nursings. If you want to know more about it, I will pm you a link to another forum so you can see that for yourself.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 01:15:23 am »
If it helps at all, my 17 month old is SO picky right now too. He eats yogurt and fruit. I kid you not, that is all the poor child eats!  :roll:  :shock:  My doctor told me not to worry, he will come out of it. Just to keep offering bites of what I'm eating, he may find something else he's willing to try that he likes.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies