Author Topic: When do you start being 'firm' with meals?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
When do you start being 'firm' with meals?
« on: December 23, 2005, 14:16:23 pm »
Zachary's going through this phase where sometimes he'll want to eat what we're eating and sometimes he won't.  Even if it's leftovers from the night before and he ate it then, sometimes he'll refuse it for lunch the next day.  So I go pop a jar (he'll eat anything out of a jar) and feed him that way.  But I'm really trying to get away from jar foods.  I'm just not sure how to handle this.  He doesn't understand "This is dinner" but I feel so manipulated when I go get a jar of food for him.  So when is a good time to start being firm with his meals and refusing to offer alternatives?  He's 13 months, BTW.
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 14:44:58 pm »
Well, I ended up feeding Kalla jar/purees til 19 months because she wouldn't eat anything else. :oops:

She still only probably eats 10 different foods (pizza, applesauce, toast, banana, yogurt, and other breakfast/snack foods) and she's almost 2.5.
SIGH
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 16:22:31 pm »
I am just now starting being firm, but if she doesn't eat what I give her I give her a choice, like "take three bites", in the hope that 1. once she gets going on it she might eat it, or 2. that I'm able to increase the number eventually.

HTH,

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 20:37:29 pm »
Personally i am not firm about it with my 2 yr old - i figure as long as they are not being intentionally cheeky i try to stay laid back about it as Alex has always been clear about her preferences.  sometimes she will want broccoli 3 meals running and then not want any veggies for 3 days.  sometimes she loves mac and cheese and sometimes (our current situation) she refuses it over and over (when i counted it as a "sure win").  my girls both seem to be of the type that if they eat something (even if they love it) they want somethign different when they choose so even if they loved it at dinner it does not mean they want to see it again at lunch KWIM.

i offer yogurt and fruit (no extra cooking from me) and leave it at that.  the otherday was the first tme i got "tough" about it when alex refused mac and cheese so i gave her a bowl of grapes and left it at that and she was fine until morning so i think she might have been trying to tell me she did not want a big heavy dinner (pasta, cheese sauce, veggies all served up in a big dish) she had requested crackers and cheese so next time i think i will think about it more before i refuse to offer an alternative.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified