Author Topic: Amount of formula and solids?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline LeslieG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
Amount of formula and solids?
« on: December 23, 2005, 17:28:20 pm »
My DD is just over 6 months. She seems to be drinking less formula and I want to make sure she is still getting enough.  She usually has four bottles per day and they range anywhere from 5 - 7 oz.  Lately she is drinking 5-6oz but prior she was drinking 7 and at times 8oz. I haven't increased her solids...could she just be teething and not eating as much?

She has solids at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  About 2oz of solids at each meal. If she seems hungry I feed her more.

Just curious...what other 6 month olds are drinking...is this the proper range?  She is 17 and a half pounds.

Leslie

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 18:12:56 pm »
Sounds to me like she's just fine.  I think it's natural to go thru phases where they drink less formula.  My DD loves solids, so I have to be careful not to overfeed her because then she won't want her bottle at all.  Rachel started solids at 5 1/2 months and for a while it was 1 tsp of cereal and 1 TBS of fruit or veggie.  Then she got to loving it, and she can eat 1 TBS cereal and 1 jar of baby food.  That works out to about 3 oz total at each sitting 3X a day.  We do yogurt and fruit for lunch, about 2 oz yogurt & 2 oz fruit.  But, we have those days when it's too much and she'll eat less bottles.  I'm not worried about it at all because she's a good weight, eating good food, and when she refuses a bottle, we skip the next solids meal and she wolfs down her bottle again.

Offline LeslieG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 18:54:58 pm »
Thank you for your input. How many bottles/oz is your LO having? Just curious. I still give her the bottle first and solids second. I know that Tracy suggests giving the solids first once they get the hang of them but I thought that BM / Formula is supposed to be their main source of food still? 

A bit confused by all of this!

Leslie

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 04:03:00 am »
She has four bottles a day6-8oz each.  Sometimes she'll take as little as 4-5 oz, but mostly it's six or so.  And I would stick with the routine that works best for you.  It doesn't matter which order you do it, as long as she continues to drink enough formula.

Offline mommiesbab_e

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://linkingparents.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 04:57:37 am »
Baby's will eat when there hungry. Some parents always worry about that stuff but babys only take what they need.
Don't Condemn Her For Bottle Feeding... Your not in her shoes.

Don't Condemn Her for Exposing her breast in public.....Nothing wrong with it While breastfeeding.