Author Topic: How Many Toys?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
How Many Toys?
« on: December 29, 2005, 18:25:52 pm »
Hi everyone!

My little dd now has toys coming out her ears!!! After Christmas it is crazy!  How many toys should I let her have out at any one time?  She used to be so good on focusing and now there is so much around her she seems to go randomly from one to the next and so on.

Should I limit the amount she has out at any one time?

Should I let her pick her toys from a basket or bin now?

Kind of lost on this...

Thanks for any input!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Daniel's mummy

How Many Toys?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 19:40:11 pm »
Hi Branwen, my advice would be to do whatever works best for you (and of course Eirwen!)  I must admit I think Daniel works better with fewer rather than more.  Once we get back home (we're staying with the ILs at the moment for 4 days) I'm going to sort out his toys and get some order there.  Since Christmas it's just been a case of letting him grab whatever he wants from a huge pile of toys  :shock:   Like you said he seems to flit from one toy to the next far quicker than he ever used to.  I might even put some toys away and get them out again for his birthday :wink:

Daniel has always had a basket of stuff in the corner of the room which he helps himself to.  Sometimes I get a selection of stuff out for him but other times he chooses himself (this usually just involves emptying the toybox and then spreading everything all over the floor :D )

Have fun.

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
How Many Toys?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 23:15:15 pm »
I'd also go with your gut and how Eirwen is acting.  Over the months, I've noticed that Asher often gets cranky and won't play with ANY toys if he has too many out.  So I've kinda figured out a good amount for our room size.  I also space them around the room, so no one area is too over-whelming.  We have two small toy bins for smaller toys and then several large toys.  We also have three things that always stay out (little tikes Garden, FP activity gym, and beanbag chair).  In addition, I put out 2-3 large toys and one toy box of the smaller toys for him to pull out what he wants.  Some days, he never even touches the toy box.  If he happens to dump it all out and I see him getting frustrated, I just pick them up again.  I rotate the toys every few days as I notice him getting bored.

Think you have a lot of toys now?  Just wait until they all have their birthdays in a month!  :lol:  CRAZY!
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)