Author Topic: Should I provide entertainment fulltime in activity periods?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Should I provide entertainment fulltime in activity periods?
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:01:35 am »
Hi there,

I think my subject line sounds a little funny, kind of like I'm thinking of putting on an all-singing, all-dancing floorshow for my little guy, but obviously I am not!

Anyway, my lo is nearly 5 m months old and seems quite happy to play on his own on his activity mat, or in his little rocker chair, during his activity periods.

I think it is important for him to develop the skill of independently being able to amuse himself, but am worried that I am being a slack Mummy by not entertaining him fulltime during his activity periods. He does get bored with position at times, and I change him to something else, or have a tickle and a play with him, etc.

Am I denying him by not giving him my full attention during activity periods?
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 07:32:19 am »
I alternate between letting dd play on her own and playing with her. But when I'm playing with her I think 'Should I be letting her play independently?' and then when she is I think 'Am I not giving her enough attention/stimulation?' etc. I think that I'll always feel guilty about getting the balance right!

I try to make sure that when I play with her, we do singing, rhymes etc, or play with the more 'demanding' toys, and let her play independently with the ones she knows what she's doing with. I do tend to butt in occasionally when she's playing anyway, shouting 'what have you got there' etc from the other side of the room, so she knows that I'm still around.

I'm sure you're doing a great job. I think we've just got to go with it. I figure that if she's happy, I'm happy.
Alison, mum to

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 07:49:00 am »
I don't play with my dd for her entire activity time (in fact some days I realise that she's played mostly by herself - well her brother is there too, so I guess she's not on her own).  I would say I'm 50/50 on the actual time I spend with her, otherwise she's in the same room as me with me popping in and out doing my thing.  Babies and children really thrive just on being a part of the household, so even though you may think doing the laundry is boring or cooking, if she's there watching, that's entertainment, she's learning through that etc.

Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 13:09:42 pm »
If anything, I'd say you're a better mom for NOT being in front of your kid 110%!!! :) :) :)  While Natalie needs some entertaining and loving in the afternoons when she gets cranky and still won't nap :roll:, by and large she self-entertains, to the point where she gets herself into trouble. If anything, I think SHE entertains ME!

I do have a few activities I'll do with her, and if she looks like she's seeking me out I'll try to put whatever else I'm doing on hold and play with her for a while, and then if something else catches her interest I'll plunk her down again and let her have at it (if it's safe LOL).

By all means, do NOT EVER feel that you have to "entertain" all the time!!!! Trust, me you won't be doing your baby a service by doing so, so you don't need to feel guilty! :)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:41:00 am »
There is so much guilt associated with motherhood isn't there ? I so know how you feel. Those activity times can stretch out to be a bit long and i find myself needing to get things done, like laundry, cooking, cleaning ect. If I'm not playing with her while she is awake, I feel really guilty, like I'm ignoring her or something. I know I'm not a bad mother, but you sure feel like it when she's just sitting there and I'm doing things around the house. I guess the key is balance, moderation, no extreme in either direction. Try not to feel so guilty because there are many mummies going through the same dilemna.
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:13:38 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Yes, I think it is a guilt thing, coupled with a lack of understanding of what constitutes "activity" for a bub. For us grown ups, activity really does need to be an all-singing, all-dancing affair to keep us amused, but I can see that for my lo, the simple goings-on of life are plenty amusement/education enough!

I have been trying to get outside every day or two to lie with Tyson on the grass on a rug, to enjoy the lovely summer weather, and to interact with our 4 dogs, who think he is the best thing ever. That seems to be a favourite with both Tyson AND the dogs, so that is a hit, but we need to take care as some of the days are very hot this time of year.

Once again, thanks for your comments!
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush