Author Topic: Night wakings are driving me insane!!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Costarican mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Night wakings are driving me insane!!
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:27:59 am »
Ok...so I'm giving my 16 month old his homeopathy for night wakings... not helping... although I'm sure I can't expect this to work as fast as regular medicine.. or should I?
I don't know what to do!! Two nights ago he woke up every two hours.. he takes a bottle and goes back to sleep.  I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!
It can't possibly be his second set of molars can it?  I think he's too young for that...
I'm thinking of getting him a pacifier (weaned from that at 9 months), since he seems to need to suck to go to sleep... but I don't want to fix one problem and create a new one. 
It's exhausting and I need ideas please... HELP!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:35:55 am »
Do you always give him a bottle when he wakes?  Does he have a lovey?  My son has a blankie and it has been a lifesaver during some of of the sleep upheavals.  It could be teeth and then you'll just have to ride it out.

Sorry I am not much help!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 16:21:49 pm »
If I don't give him a bottle every single time he wakes up, he will scream his head off...and believe me, it can go on for hours!!  Should I try with a pacifier instead?
I've tried to make him grow attached to a blanket and a stuffed animal... but he doesn't seem to think much of them!! I'm out of ideas and patience!!

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 21:38:48 pm »
A few months back we had a similar problem as you are having now and it was horrible, I felt just like you and didn't know what to do and being so tired I couldn't even imagine any kind of sleep training.

I looked at his sleeping/waking pattern and realised that he was waking for no other reason than for that bottle !

I knew that he didn't need the bottle at that age and that I would have to take the plunge, which I did - and yes we had 1 night of full hysterics, Khyan doesn't say bottle but he signs it and if you know the sign (it's a bit like pounding your fist on your open hand) it was such an urgent way - that it was like he was about to "beat" me any moment - lol ! I just held him while he thrashed around and every time he signed for the bottle I would quietly and gently say "no bottle just nigh, nigh" then he would SCREAM and this went on for some time.

He cried and signed like crazy every 2 hours the first night but the second he only woke 2 times each time he  signed for the bottle I said no he cried for a couple of mins and then went to sleep - he realised that there was no bottle and stopped asking when he woke and mostly didn't wake at all.

Saying all of this - I do have to say that he isn't a perfect sleeper he still wakes and we will be starting pu/pd really soon to teach independant sleeping, but he wakings are only a couple if he wakes at all and usually it's something like teething or illness.

I know that it is overwhelming to think of removing the bottles but it will be worth it in the long run I personally wouldn't give a paci at this age but you do what you think is necessary for your sanity.

If you think that it may be teething pain also then I would give something before bed so that you don't question yourself in the night and eventually give the bottle anyway

goodluck I know how hard this can be

Big hugs xx
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 21:47:17 pm »
I'm thinking it may be time to get rid of the night bottles!  Like Michaela said, it will be very hard and there will be alot of crying involved, but she is also proof herself that after a couple nights of hell it does get better.

You may just need to take the plunge!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Jamasco

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 23:52:15 pm »
When my daughter was 6 months old her ped asked if she was sleeping through the night.  I responded no she wakes up once or twice for a bottle.  It was that night we  started sleep training.  She said to let her cry for 10 mins.  Go and give her a bottle of water in her crib, not formula or juice.  If she continues let her go for 15 mins and then after that 20.  Within 2 weeks she guaranteed me she would sleep through the night.  Within 2 weeks, voila!  Done deal.  She's been sleeping through the night ever since barring any teething or ear infections!  She knew she wasn't getting formula anymore she stopped crying.  Good luck.  Keep the faith!   :wink:
Janis

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 19:46:00 pm »
Guys...I know in my heart I have to take the plunge and remove those night bottles...I know that's what he's waking up for...I know because he opens his eyes and inmediately looks for it, or points at it...  :?   I'm just so tired, and dread those nights from hell that will result from this... but I have to make this my New Year's resolution.  I'm thinking about another baby this year...and I need to have this child sleeping thru the night as much as possible.  May God help me!!!
I can't try the water instead of bottle thing because I did that once and he'd just gulp down the bottles of water...so it has to be no bottle, cold turkey.  :shock:

Offline Samuel's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 20:53:46 pm »
I UNDERSTAND!!!
My little guy is in the same situation.  Has always woken up for a sippy cup of milk.  My husband and I have a long standing standstill on whether it is hunger (dh thinks so) or habit (my thinking).  I get dh to help out on nights since we are both working full time  - so when I'm up at night with him I am diluting the milk, but then Jeff has a night and the next morning he'll say --oh ya, I forgot and gave him a full bottle (10 ounces).  I know I really just need to cut out the milk cold turkey like you.  Maybe the new years resolution is the way to go....I think next week I need to try it.

Good Luck
Nicole
Nicole
Mom to Samuel born July 27, 2004
 and to Julianna born Dec 26, 2006

Offline claytonsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 13:11:39 pm »
Try increasing the calories, food, etc. that he eats during the day.  This should help in case there is any hunger involved.  This will help when you get rid of them.