Author Topic: Waking during the night - not wanting food  (Read 1198 times)

Offline krislou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking during the night - not wanting food
« on: December 26, 2005, 19:52:06 pm »
Hi

My little boy is now 11and a bit weeks and weighs 14lbs ish and is formula fed.

Our routine is:
3hourly EASY (although im now extending to 4 hourly as hes not really hungry at this time and spits up a lot of it)

Day starts at 6.30-7am (although hes sometimes awake at 5.30)
Feeds 3 hourly (5-7oz)
Sleeps 30 - 45mins at 9amish,1hour - 1 1/2hr-  11.30am ish, same at 2ish, and a 45min catnap at 5ish
Bath time 6pm
Feed 6.30
Bedtime 7pm
DF 10.30

Over the last 10days we have managed to get rid of the nighttime feed as he was onlt eating as i was misreading his signs and he was only tasking 1-2oz in the morning.

This is fine and he definately is not hungry through the night but he does wake up through the night still - times vary but its either 3.30 or 5.30 (he would wake at one or the other of these times for a feed before).
I leave him for 10mins to see if he settles but he doesnt, its not a riproaring cry, more of a moan but he wont go back to sleep on his own, when we go in hes crying but with eyes closed as if almost asleep, we can settle him with a dummy but it falls out and wakens him and we have to keep popping it back in until we get him up at 7am. This is resulting in poor sleep for him and this makes him a bit grouchy and tired through the day.

I dont want to really keep using a dummy and would like him to learn to settle himself.  I dont expet him at this age to sleep throuh (although it would be nice!) but would like him to settle himslef or for us to help him without a dummy until he can do it himself.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to tackle this situation?
Any techniques of how to settle him.  He gets quite agitated with shhh, pat when ive tried it before.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:09:18 am »
My thought is there is probably a "thirst element" in there, the fact you don't get him back to sleep properly with the dummy says he wants something... try just offering a smaller feed. - While 1-2 oz, doesn't seem like they need it, think of the times you wake up thirsty, just take a mouthful of water & go back to sleep... often they need that 'little' thirst quencher.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline krislou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 19:45:04 pm »
Hi
Thanks for answering my post.

Well i tried to feed him the last couple of nights to see if it was thirst.  Anyway, it definately isnt thirst related, i offered the bottle and he fought it, finally took a few gulps and spat it back out and proceeded to suck his finger happily instead.

So i dont know why hes waking up and not resettling, but im worried that were going t end up with a dummy habit if im not careful.  Im trying shh pat but it just seems to frustrate him and me.  DH suggested crying it out as an option, but im really not keen.

Any advice really greatly appreciated.

Offline Bobby brown

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 08:34:25 am »
Hi,

I too have a DS who is 15weeks old.
Your not alone. My son takes a dream feed of around 7 - 8 oz but still wakes every 3 hrs but not really wanting food. He takes 1 - 2 oz but if I dont put he bottle in his mouth he screams the place down.
It getting worse though cause over the past couple of nights he is waking every hour. I am exhausted. so if you do find a method please please do let me know.

Big hug to you!! :?

Offline krislou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 14:06:01 pm »
Good to know im not alone.

I dont mind the disruption as i know hes only little, but at least when he was hungry he ate and went right back to sleep till 7.  The frequency of waking  was increasing by the day and i think its all dummy related - think i may have potentially got a  dummy dependency brewing!!

I decided that i was going to sort it out last night.  No dummy when wakes, wasnt going to rush in too quick and was going to again try shh pat.  So i was primed and ready to follow plan.  Fortunately i didnt have to..

Cailean woke at 5am briefly muttered, moaned, short cry of few mins and went back to sleep, all of this lasted about 10mins (ive always gave up and went in by then), he did the same at 6, then i had to wake him at 7am.

I think our problem was that we were going in to quick when he stirred - 10mins seems like a lifetime at 5in the morning. 

Fingers crossed he will continue to settle himself from now on.

He had round 2 of immunisations today and i just hope that doesnt knock him off!

Good luck