Author Topic: Sleep What's that?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline LizL

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 27, 2005, 12:32:26 pm »
I have a wonderful 3year old (J) and a beautiful 8 month old (E) - that's during the day! At night the baby is ok, she still wakes once a night - sometimes 4 or 5 or 6am (depends on her hunger!), but I can cope with that.
The problems begin when J gets up for the loo - usally just after I have gone to bed (12ish). She sometimes then gets up an hour later - and on really bad nights again. Each time I have to go and sit with her until she goes back to sleep. Then E wakes up.
Last night I did not go to sleep until 2 (up with J) slept for an hour then E woke - although I did not go in I was still awake - she went back to sleep as did I, until 4! I was up with her until 5 , went back to bed and J was up at 6! and that is a fairly average night. Luckily my husband is off work this week so I was able to sleep in for a couple of hours. BUT I NEED HELP - AND SLEEP!!
How do I get J NOT to come and wake me up when she gets up - how can I get her to sleep through the night again, and how do I get E to sleep a bit longer. J has been getting up like this for months!
LL

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Sleep What's that?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 00:43:17 am »
I think with the baby you just need to make sure you get as much milk & solids into her as you can. depending on when her last feed is before bed time, she isn't doing too badly going until 4-6am... have you tried tanking her up.

Re the 3yo... I'm moving this post to the Toddler sleep, as you may get some advice there, but I think you have to "help her learn" not to need your help & maybe work out "why" she needs to go to the toilet so often at night...maybe too much to drink in the evening???
With my almost 2.5yo we do a lot of "working out together" stuff... like why don't you want to do? I give ideas & he gives yes or no... so I would think that could work with a 3yo & then start to explain that you are really tired because of her getting up & that makes it hard for you to play with her etc etc.

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Sleep What's that?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:37:13 am »
We went through a lot of this when ds was 3 or so, and still go through it some. Our main solution was to implement "sleep rules" whereby my son has to stay in bed all night, and if he gets up too much or doesn't go to sleep on his own, he doesn't get a treat. If he stays in bed all night, from when we put him down til morning, he gets a treat. (Otherwise, we're failry strict on treats.) It took awhile, and we still have relapses, but it has been a great improvement!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline LizL

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 13:50:51 pm »
thanks for your replies I will give your ides a go - wish me luck (and sleep!!)
LL