Author Topic: Prefering solids to Breast milk  (Read 1212 times)

Offline ollies mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Prefering solids to Breast milk
« on: December 27, 2005, 17:48:54 pm »
Hi, I am new to the forum and very pleased to have found it. Its nice to know others have difficulties aswell.

Anyway my boy is nearly 9 months old and has been on 3 meals aday for a while now and is doing really well. He eats everything I offer with real enthusiasm. My problem is that he is refusing to BF in the day and I'm really worried hes not getting enough milk.
He will take a feed early morning and before bed but will generally refuse it between meals, he almost seems to hold out till its meal time and still wont have the milk even if hes hungry. Do you think I am worrying about nothing and this is just his way of weaning. He has milk with his cerial in the morning and I give him cheese and yogurt with his meals so he is getting calcium in his diet too. 
Do you think I should cut back on solids to try and entice him into drinking more milk, which seems abit like a step back to me or do you think its OK as it is?
I would really appreciate any advice as I really dont know what to do for the best.

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 18:48:31 pm »
Here's my suggestion..... try offering the milk before the solids and see if he will take some then. My experience so far is rather limited with only a 6 month old......
Also - do you pump at all or have a pump? Maybe try pumping and offering it in a sippy cup, that way he is getting the nutrients, etc and maybe he will take it b etter.
or try nursing right after he wakes from his nap, perhaps it will be easier when he is still a little sleepy.
I have heard most babies will not self wean before a year, not sure if it is true or not.......
Also, if he is nursing 2-3 times a day it may be enough.
Hopefully some other moms on here will have some ideas too!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 03:11:09 am »
Every baby is different as to when they want to wean.  Have you tried offering milk in a sippy cup?  Some babies just decide they don't want a bottle or breast anymore.  My nephew did this at about 9 months of age.  Also, if by switching around the order of your solids and milk schedule he still seems to not have any interest, I would try offering more calcium rich solid foods.  Offer yogurt and mix nuts or seeds into it to boost it's calories and fat.  You can also mix nonfat dry powdered milk into the yogurt for an extra boost of calcium.  Offer cheese, which I'm sure is already a favorite.  You can offer tofu, and meats for iron and zinc.  If he is eating a good variety of foods, which contain calcium, iron and other minerals, then he won't need as much breastmilk if he is refusing.  You can ask his doctor if vitamin supplements would also be something to try in this case.  If he is drinking orange juice, you can also buy the calcium fortified kind.  HTH.