Author Topic: Help for weaning  (Read 995 times)

Offline kdgqueen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help for weaning
« on: December 27, 2005, 18:58:19 pm »
I need some help with ending my milk supply.  I have to stop nursing due to some health issues.  I have completely weaned my daughter of the breast and I have been pumping to store up some milk for flu season.  Does anyone have a good plan to gradually stop pumping?  I don't want to go cold turkey, so I need help stopping so that I don't become really engorged and be in a lot of pain.

Thanks!
kathy  : )

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Help for weaning
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 19:48:41 pm »
I would just pump one less time each week or two. Nice and slow. You can also limit the amount of pumping if you don't want the milk.

Don't know what the "health issues" are (and you don't need to tell us) but some moms do continue to pump for up to a year or more, even if baby isn't nursing.

HTH
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

Help for weaning
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 20:59:26 pm »
As Stacy said, drop one pumping per week or so, that is a slow and gentle approach to weaning or losing supply. If it becomes uncomfortable for you, try wearing chilled cabbage leaves in your bra with holes for your nipples.

Offline kdgqueen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help for weaning
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 22:36:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  What purpose do the cabbage leaves serve?  I have heard that before but noone ever had a reason why to use them.

I am really bummed about having to stop nursing all together.  I have high blood pressure (from having my DD) and high cholesterol.  Following doctor's order's, I have to start my cholesterol meds again in January.  He and I felt it was best not to put my health at risk.  My husband says 6 months of breast milk is better than nothing!  I nursed my daughter for the last time on Christmas night and cried the whole time!  It was harder than I thought it was going to be to go to bottles full time.  I have done bottle and breast all 6 months, so she is already used to having a bottle.

Wish me luck!  : )

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Help for weaning
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 02:08:40 am »
Good for you for nursing so long! There is another mommy on the boards who held off on meds while nursing too. You ladies just amaze me!

Best of luck on your transition. I found the first week to be the hardest when each of my children weaned. It can sure be emotional! It does get easier over time. Give yourself lots of hugs and know what a wonderful mommy you are!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies