Author Topic: night feeding  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Daniel's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 27, 2005, 21:21:43 pm »
My ds is 16 weeks old. We have managed to put him on a routine, so he eats at 7, 11, 3, 7 plus dream feed at 11pm. He can eat max 5 oz, altouhg on average he manages only 4 oz. I read he is supposed to sleep until 6-7 am. He wakes up  2-3 times during the night(which is quite normal) and fall back asleep. However, he always eats either at 3, 4 or 5 am, and then again at 7 am. I suspect it can be that he has to eat more during the day, but he just refuses to eat more and  I will not force him to do otherwise. Is this a normal behavior or am I a doing something wrong? AS a new mom, I just have no clue if I am "teaching" him to eat at 4-5 am or if this just pass away after a while,when he is ready to eat more. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :D

Offline mommiesbab_e

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://linkingparents.com
night feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:55:56 am »
I see nothing wrong with that
Don't Condemn Her For Bottle Feeding... Your not in her shoes.

Don't Condemn Her for Exposing her breast in public.....Nothing wrong with it While breastfeeding.

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
night feeding
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 16:36:37 pm »
Nothing wrong  :D

Does he take a full feed at 5?  If not, you could try using the pacifier or pu/pd to extend it.

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
night feeding
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 18:21:31 pm »
My 10WO DD does a similar thing and I've wondered about it too.  I know she's younger than your LO, but she's a big girl and eats just like your LO:  bottle-fed; usually 4 ounces at each feed; occaisionally 5 ounces.  We don't do a DF, but she'll eat at 7-8pm and then sleep until 4am.  If we gave a DF, she'd still wake up at 4am.  I was struggling to stay awake to do the DF so I threw in the towel. 

I was concerned that I was "teaching" her to wake at 4am for a feed so I tried pat/shh and she CAN make it to 7am, but it's such fitful sleep that I don't think it's restful for her.  So, I just feed her (she'll take anywhere between 2-4 ounces) and put her back to sleep.  She generally wakes in a pleasant mood and will eat at 7-8am.

Am curious what others think...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Daniel's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 17:29:29 pm »
Daniel is now starting to eat 5 oz, so I will "track" him for several days and see if he stills wakes up. I guess now that he is eating more, maybe he will manage to sleep longer. I suspect it is hunger, we will see...
I think your baby (10 w) is actually waking up for hunger. Since her last meal is around 8 pm, she is in fact sleeping 8 hours in a row!, which is really good.
It takes a lot of effort, but in theory, if you give her DF at 11, after several days she will manage not to wake up at 4 am. Some people has told me that if they keep waking up so early, then they continue doing it even when they are 2 years old. (But I am not sure that is true).
Anyway, I think that as long as we feel comfortable doing what we do, then should be fine. For example, I just found out that my mom let us cry during the night!  :roll: Something I just could not do at all...