Author Topic: Please help with our bedtime  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Please help with our bedtime
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:30:15 pm »
Hello,

My ds is 16mths and has always gone to sleep by himself,however the past 10days have been a nightmare at bedtime for us

I spend between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs trying to settle him for his night sleep, i am walking in to the room when he sounds distressed and patting him for about a minute and walking out and this goes on and on and on

He has no problem falling asleep at nap time and does not wake through the night.

our day is as follows

7.00 wakes  up
12.00 to 2.30 ( i always wake at 2.30 otherwise he would sleep till 3 - 3.30)
7.15 bath,book and cuddles whilst having milk
he used to have a little chatter and be asleep by 7.30ish

7.30 is now more like 9.30pm

I really could do with some advice as i now dread bedtime  :oops: ....

dh thinks it could be 1. he is not tired enough (but ds is showing all sleepy signs) or 2.seperation anxiety? (but why doesnt this happen at nap time or through out the day?)

Please can someone help with our bedtime routine?

Thanks

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 17:34:13 pm »
Have you tried even putting him down 15 minutes earlier?  I know it sounds weird, but my ds always seems to fall asleep more easily if he is going down a bit earlier.  Has anything at all changed for him?  Just stay consistent with how you are putting him down, and he should get back on track.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 17:38:13 pm »
My daughter does this at times and I just think it's her showing her independence.  That she can stay awake if I want her to sleep, type of a situation.  Also at 16 months they are starting to build their vocabulary and use the alone time to practice their new words or voice....

How long has it been going on?  At about 16.5 months my daughter started waking up to talk for TWO HOURS in the middle of the night.  She never cried, just talked and played for two hours.  It was the most frustrating thing so I can relate!!!!!!  It took until 19 months for her to outgrow it!!!!!

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:19:13 am »
hi

Its being going on for about 10 days now,,,,

the only things that have changed is that he is not in a sleeping bag at night anymore as its too hot here (summertime now) but he goes to sleep ok at naps without one.
the other thing that has changed is that dh is off work for christmas break and there is lots of full-on playtime during the day but never before bed.

last night the time increased to 2 1/2 hrs and i was crying too by the end of it. :oops:

I really hope its going to pass,,,im considering cutting his nap back to 2hrs to see if that helps.

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:24:12 am »
I think cutting back naptime is a great idea, my dd did the same thing, and when I limited her nap to no more than 2 hours she was much better.  Now at 2 1/2 she doesn't nap at all, hasnt for about 4 mos, or she will get up in the middle of the night! 
Good luck and sending you (((((((((((sleep vibes)))))))))))
Lisa