Author Topic: Those with later nap times...  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 28, 2005, 17:30:10 pm »
Carmela (20 months) currently goes down for her nap at 12:30.  I am afraid to try any later than that because I love our early bedtime of 7:30.  But her naps are so hit and miss.  One day she'll fall asleep with 10 minutes, the next I go in 45 minutes later and she'll go to sleep and then there is always the day that she won't go to sleep at all.  I think if I put her in later, she'd take her nap consistently but I am so afraid of her not wanting to go to bed until after 8 and that is just too late for me.  I like my hour or two of alone time with DH before going to bed myself!!!!!!!  Suggestions?

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Those with later nap times...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 19:52:03 pm »
We always seem to be on the same page - I was just having the same thought as I was logging on to the computer... maybe I should try a LATER naptime for my dd. But I don't think this will work for me. I know she's tired when I put her down. Also, I've read that you should target the nap so that it occurs exactly between wakeup and bedtime. So if she's up at 6 am and down at 7 pm, she should nap 11:30-1:30. I'm also interested in the comments of people with later naptimes. It kind of sounded in recent posts like it doesn't affect their bedtimes moving later?
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 20:03:12 pm »
Hi there
    Well if it helps, my DD Anna, who is 25 months, has a nap starting anytime between 12.30  & 1.30pm with a rare 2pm start if we get delayed and she still goes to bed between 7-7.30 pm with no problems
HTH
Clare

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 20:09:01 pm »
My dd's nap was at 1 pm for a long, long time starting with when she dropped her morning nap (it was a struggle getting her to stay awake until 1 pm but worked better in the long run).  Now she's asleep by 1:30 or sometimes 2 pm and sleeps for atleast 1 1/2 hours, but normally more like 2 or 2 1/2 hours and is asleep around 8 or 8:30.  If your dd doesn't nap too long, a later start would still ensure the 7:30 bedtime, especially if you just moved to the 1 pm time.  Good luck!

Offline ~*~Janelle~*~

• Showing Appreciation 57
  • I'm Soooo Blessed!
    • Troyer Family Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 22:37:35 pm »
I actually just posted on sacmom's other post...mine both take naps later...in fact I just put Abby down (at 2:30) and Savannah is going in a few minutes.  Usually I put Abby down earlier, but we've been cooped up with all of this rain, so I don't feel the need to get them to take nice, long naps!
Anyway, I just make sure I wake my girls at a decent time...for Savannah that's usually 4ish and I let Abby go until 4:30.  They both go to bed without a hitch at 8ish.  I too couldn't stand not having my evenings free...that's my favorite time of the day!!!  I do have to wake them both up nearly every day.
The Mommy Formerly Known As Savannah&Abby&Luke's Mommy
Blessed beyond belief mommy to 8 precious gifts from God

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 00:08:44 am »
DS normally wakes around 7am.
Naps 1pm until 3 - 3.30 (4pm) has been known
Still in bed 7.30, may be talking to himself until 8pm, but happy.

He's 24months

Alex

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 18:03:55 pm »
I think I'm going to give this a shot.  I tried the other day and put her down at 1:30...she slept until 3 and then went to bed at 7:30 (but fell asleep at 8:00) she fell asleep pretty quickly though so that was wonderful. 

Today she seemed sooo tired at 12:30 so I put her in.  It's now 1:00 and she's still talking away.  I don't understand why if she's sooo tired why she's not sleeping.  I'm having a hard time figuring all this out.  Now today I'm thinking do I move it earlier or later since I'm wondering if she's overtired????

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 05:13:39 am »
Hi Jackie, Let us know how the later nap goes. I was thinking of trying it too ~ the only thing is that my dd goes down just fine when my husband puts her down, which is usually around noon or earlier.

I've grilled him on what he does, and I think he gets her to a much calmer state than I do. I don't know what you're pre-nap routine is... mine is sippy cup of milk in her dark room, hold for maybe a minute with light patting in case she needs to burp, then down. I think my dh holds her much longer so that she's closer to sleep. She rarely needs intervention when he puts her down. Just a thought. I don't know if I like this method or not, because I like her going to sleep entirely on her own and she seems too close to being asleep when he puts her down. But it always works! Just a thought.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 14:32:44 pm »
I've tried that with Carmela but as soon as I"m done with my two songs she wants out of my arms and in her crib.  I'm going to try to keep her cuddling for a few minutes longer today and see if that works. 

I really don't know what to do with re. nap time.  This morning she woke up at 6:30.  She is usually up between 6:30-7:30 and I think 12:30 sounds like a good nap time.  Yesterday we put her in at 12:30...DH got her to bed at 1:40 and she slept until 3:00 where she woke up SO SO SO cranky.  It was clearly too late as she was overtired. 

She shows signs around 11 to be tired and I've considered 11:30 but when I try that it doesn't work.  Maybe I should go back to that before going later??????  What do you think?  Either way, I need a solution here as I KNOW she still needs her nap!

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 16:36:00 pm »
Well today I had a very cranky baby on my hands.  She woke up at 6:30 so I thought maybe she was tired.  She yawned, rubbed eyes and played with her ears since about 9 and it got bad at 10:30 so at 11:00 I gave her a snack instead of lunch at 11:30 and at 11:30 I put her in her crib.  I think she was ready for her nap because she just seemed so tired.

Right now it's 11:35 and she's playing.  I am praying she goes to sleep because she NEEDS it! 

I just can't figure out the timing of anything.  I don't know if it's me, her or what the heck it is but I am so frustrated.  I wish we could just solve all these sleep issues once and for all!

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 17:39:59 pm »
My dd is 19mths has has always been an early bird and never slept more then 10 & a half hours at night. Her schedule is like clockwork.

She's up between 6-6.30am and once in a while at 5.30-5.45am.

She naps from 1.15-1.30pm to about 3.30-4pm, and today she napped till 4.15pm. We start our bedtime routine at 7.30 & she's asleep by 8-8.20pm without a problem. I do make it a point to not let her nap past 4pm, except today.

When we moved to one nap she used to nap at 12.30 but started to fight it so I pushed it by 15mins every few days until we got to where we are now.

Don't fall into the trap of putting her down earlier for her nap when she looks tired. I tired it a few times & it always back fires. Play with her or take her for a quick walk, anything so that she doesn't fall asleep early.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 22:15:55 pm »
I'm sorry, Jackie. I hope you got that nap today after all! I've been lucky for this past week because DH is off of work. I'll be back to tearing my hair out tomorrow I'm sure.

Catharine's comments on timing are helpful. I'm always tempted to pull up the nap to before noon because I know my dd is tired (eg she got up at 4:50 am today!!!! Talk about my resettling routine backfiring.) You know, it can't hurt to play with the later time to see if you get more consistency. Worst case scenario is you still don't get the nap. However, I do think you're lucky that Carmela is still getting naps more days than not. The problem is you having to fear it and get frustrated each day! That's the part I want to get over. Whether or not Karina takes a nap, I just want peace of mind!

If I keep having problems I'll try the later time too and let you know. My problem is I've tried it before (not even by purpose or choice, but it's hard to get the nap in before 12:30 as that's when I pick up my son from preschool). So if I put her down close to 1, she doesn't have time to settle to sleep if she doesn't go right down. If I put her down closer to 11, she'll usually get in a nap, even if it takes her 2 hrs to get to sleep! Neither way is ideal, just haven't gotten to the best place yet.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 21:17:13 pm »
So I ended up with a later naptime (down at 12:45) today since we're back on my son's preschool schedule... and my dd went down fine (asleep by 1). I probably just lucked out so I'll let you know if it's successful the rest of the week. I also tried a longer pre-bedtime soothing routine, holding her in the dark a minute or two longer. Who know which was more helpful. But I did notice on the sticky that almost everyone else is napping their kids later (of course most of the kids get up significantly later too! lol)
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 20:55:58 pm »
Since yesterday worked, I did the exact same thing today and got a nap again. Hope it continues. So Jackie, I'm in favor of moving to a later naptime (mine is now 12:45).
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 21:46:58 pm »
YEs!  I just posted the same thing in my thread!  I moved her yesterday and today to 12:45 and both days she was asleep within 10 minutes :)  Her nap was 1 hour and 45 mins both times though which sounds great but she's waking sooo cranky.  I think its because she's so overtired from nighttime that really she needs like a good 3 hour nap to make up for the 2 hours she's up ya know?  I think I'll have it figured out by the time she's 10!!!!!   :roll: