Author Topic: Would you consider a formula change? (long)  (Read 1275 times)

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Would you consider a formula change? (long)
« on: December 15, 2005, 15:10:14 pm »
This seemed like the logical place to put this, so here goes.  DD started life on Neosure d/t being 5 weeks premature.  Tried Nutramigen at 6wks d/t much fussiness.  Smart child would not drink it, so back to Neosure.  We figured a lot of the fussiness was her parents being clueless as to what she was telling us. :oops:   It got better after we got a clue or two.  Back to doc when intake decreased and urping increased.  Also has reflux that Zantac did nothing for.  Changed her to Gentlease which has less lactose and the protein is partly broken down.  Intake is better, still on and off fussy.  Tried Prevacid for the 'flux, in a week we had a different child.  Smilling and happy.  If it's not broke, don't fix it, right?  Her current formula is rather expensive and of course there is no store brand like it.  The Prevacid is the higher copay for her insurance.  (of course).  My question is, would you consider trying soy formula?  I plan to ask her doc at her next appointment, but in the meantime, thought I would get input from mommies here.    I think the med does the most good.  She did fine with the first formula until she had an ear infection and the reflux got bad.  The first couple of months are a bit of a blur at this point, wich may be a good thing.  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:10:12 am »
Hi there

This is just my personal opinion but I would say if all is well with her digestion I would try and last on the same formula for a while longer as her system has obviously had a hard time since she was born and the next thing will be solids which will also be trying for her at some stage. It takes a very long time for the human gut to recover from digestive problems so I would stick with it or a long as you can manage just to let her tummy have some time bein settled.

hth
Sara

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 16:13:13 pm »
We too have had problems with formulas. DD is dairy intolerant but we weren't sure about soy. She is mostly bf but gets one bottle a day of Nutramigen (which is super expensive as well). I'm considering weaning and was hoping that her tummy would tolerate the soy formula. About two weeks ago I started putting 2 oz of soy formula mixed with her hypoallergenic formula and she seems to be doing great. I've continued to take it really slow though.

Sara, is right though in the sense that little tummy's take awhile to adjust to change so you may want to leave well enough alone. :wink: Your decision.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 16:55:01 pm »
I hadn't thought about the solids angle.  DD seems destined to have an expensive first year.  Good thing most of her clothes are hand me downs.  Guess we won' ttry to change.  Thanks for the input!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 21:28:46 pm »
They fed nutramigen in the hospital but the babies spat it out and HATED it. It really stinks, is expensive and not available without prescription in Britain... We use Hipp Hypoallergenic 1 and he really likes it, I would recommend it for all babies with a high allergy risk but not with dairy intolerance.