Author Topic: help wont take a bottle !  (Read 763 times)

Offline fantasy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 28, 2005, 21:11:57 pm »
hi
my son is nearly 9 months and up until he got his first 2 teeth  a month ago, always had a bottle top up in the evening which allowed me to see to the other kids .
now he refuses the bottle :(
i have tried express milk ,formula even juice but refuses. he wont take formula in a cup or  mug ,which means i am feeding alot in the evening .
we cant go out as he wakes for a dream feed at 10pm.
he has had croup and an ear infection ,which made him nurse all night.i am trying to get back to normal but his top teeth are on there way and he loves to feed at night fro comfort.
any suggestions please? he was eating 3 big meals a day but has cut down to half the ammount even when i refuse to feed in the night

annamum

help wont take a bottle !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:57:12 am »
Hmm, I know that when they are sick or their teeth are erupting they change their feeding and sleeping habits a lot. My dd always wanted to comfort nurse when she was teething and also had problems staying asleep at that time so I understand your problem. My dd doesn't want her solids either, when she is not feeling well, she only is interested in nursing.

It may very well be that he will take his bottle again as soon as he recovers completely from illness. As for comfort nursing at night, this is a tough one, especially if this is how it has always been. He is now 9 months so definitely his nursing at night is not a real hunger but a comfort thing. Is he able to go to sleep on his own at all? Does he put himself back to sleep when teeth are not bothering him? If comfort nursing is a new thing just because of his teeth I would assume he will stop bothering you at night as soon as he is done with teething.

Have you tried offering him a cup with a straw? My dd liked it better than a sippy cup. I know, it still doesn't solve your dream feed problem. I am thinking that his waking for a dream feed may actually be a habitual one if he is doing it on regular basis. In that case, I suggest that you start moving df earlier and earlier by 15 minutes each day to phase it out completely.

Hopefully you will get some more tips.