Author Topic: Do you wake your babes from naps to keep them on schedule?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do you wake your babes from naps to keep them on schedule?
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:28:36 am »
We started sleep training about 10 days ago.  Things are better but he's still waking up at night, sometimes twice, sometimes he's up a half hour, sometimes 45 minutes and then we have some early wakeups to boot. 

I've been waking him up after 1.5 hours for both his morning and afternoon nap.  I know he's still tired when I wake him up but I want to keep him on schedule to keep his bedtime at a decent hour. 

But I'm wondering ... do you think I'm perpetuating the night wakings by waking him from naps during the day and always keeping him in an overtired state?  I mean, if he's tired as soon as he wakes up from a nap, then maybe he's not rested going into the night?  But yet, I can't let him sleep all day or the nights will really be messed up, right??  I would think 1.5 hours, twice a day is a reasonable amount of time to nap.  Or should I just be letting him sleep as much as he wants to catch up??

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:43:24 am »
How old is your lo, as the length of day sleep depends on age... then I can offer some more related ideas
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline elisabethkneale

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 12:16:07 pm »
I'm no expert but I can't bring myself to wake my son once he is asleep, even if he's off schedule. He has always been a short napper but I didn't bother trying to get him back to sleep once he woke either (unless he seemed to want to). He has sorted himself out now and naps for the right length of time - plus he sleeps through the night. So I went for minimum intervention... but all babies are different of course. Perhaps you could persist with this for a bit longer and if it doesn't work try coming from the other angle? Just a suggestion though, not really based on any firm knowledge!!

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 18:34:01 pm »
I try to be flexible and base it my DD's day.  If she's been eating like a champ and napping terribly, I'll let her sleep.  But probably not more than 3 hours (she's 10WO).  If she's been napping great (ha, ha!  never happens) and eating terribly, I'd wake her to get the calories in.  HTH!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 01:18:01 am »
Sorry, he's almost 11 months old. 

He gets sleepy for his 1st nap about 3 hours after he wakes up, then he's sleepy for his 2nd nap 3 hours after that.  And then his bedtime is 4 hours after he wakes from his last nap. 

So let's say I let him sleep as long as he wants and it pushes his 2nd nap past 4pm, then he's going to bed after 8pm.   So I try to keep the morning nap on time, to keep the 2nd nap on time, to keep the bedtime reasonable.  But I feel bad that I'm always waking him up so I'm wondering if I'm being counter-productive and he's always tired and never rested going into the night.   But then again... each nap is a good 1.5 hours which is nowhere near a catnap.

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:28:34 am »
me i would let dd sleep past 1.5 hous at this age, of course she didn't do it that often, sometimes this meant that her night nap was a bit later but i just adjusted her routinue to suit her, i did find that if she did nap longer i could still always put her to bed at the same time, we were lucky we never ever had an issue with night sleep, what is your routinue? dd has always had a good routinue but everyday was slightly different, sometimes down at 7 and sometimes as late as 8, the only problem this created was our meal time as we always eat after dd is down for the night, we are trying to change this but we do so many thing between dh coming home and her bedtime that our meal time does suffer

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 10:18:55 am »
I think try letting him sleep to 2 hours for the morning & maybe 1.5 for the afternoon.
I have always kept bedtime the same time even if we have a day like today with a 2.5yo not wanting a nap (grandparents visiting) then falling asleep for an hour 4-5pm... he was still in bed by 7.45pm (bedtime roughly 7.30pm) & ready for sleep
I think the setting of their body clocks is more important at bedtime than having X hours between naps. I definitely find with both boys more than 15min variation at bedtime can upset the routine. Nap time also to a lesser degree.
HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05