Author Topic: Knackered Mummy - Please Help!  (Read 986 times)

Holly&Tom

Knackered Mummy - Please Help!
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:42:57 am »
Our daughter is 15 months and after sleeping through beautifully since 4 months (excluding a few nights of teething) we've been confronted with Grumpy baby!

She's had a fair amount of upheaval in the past few weeks; at the start of December she had a nasty cold, then mid december we got married and she stayed with her grandparents for 3 nights while we were away, the two weeks leading up to Christmas was a struggle with her waking nightly but through controlled crying (5 mins, then 10, then 15...) she started getting herself back off to sleep; then came christmas and since then we've had all out tantrums from 2am that last anything up to 3 hours when my husband finnally gives in and cuddles her to sleep in her room with a bottle. In addition to all this upheaval, I am 24 weeks prenant with her sister and she's obviously picked up that something is going on.

I know she doesn't need a bottle during the night - her nappies are wet when she wakes without one (bottle, not nappy that is!) and she is eating well during the day. As a general rule we've practiced the EASY method with her since 3 months and used controlled crying.

Unfortunately we are now left with a tired, tantrummy child; tired, grumpy daddy and exhausted, tearful mummy currently writing with said tired child having climbed up for a cuddle, fallen asleep 2 hours before her usual  nap! Any help / suggestions / offers of sleep welcome!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Knackered Mummy - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 17:47:19 pm »
Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough go at the moment!

It sounds like the sleep upheavals have alot to do with all that has been going on.  Lo's are very sensitive to change and goings on, and unfortunately for us, it's their sleep that suffers.

I agree that she probably doesn't need the bottles in the night, but I understand that when desperate for sleep we will do whatever to get some.  Cutting out the bottles will help with the nightwakings.  There will be alot of crying for the first night or two, but it will be better in the long run.  Be there for her and offer lots of reassurance.  The other thing is to stay consistent with her bedtime routine and how you put her down, as this will help you get back on track quicker.

Hope this helps a bit!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com