Author Topic: When are the best times to feed my 6 month old solids?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline ELR

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When are the best times to feed my 6 month old solids?
« on: December 29, 2005, 15:00:59 pm »
Hi, my daughter is just 6 months old and I'm in the early stages of weaning. I'm on 4 hour EASY and was wondering how to insert her eating times into her routine. Should I keep giving her milk at the same times 7, 11, 3, 7 amd 10.30) and give solids at eg, 9, 12.30 and 4.30? I'm also not sure whether I should be dropping a milk feed or how much I should decrease the amount.

Also, over the last few days she has been rather constipated and despite giving her juice/water and much straining, she still hasn't had a proper bowel movement. :oops:

Any advice would be great.  :roll:

Offline balani

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 16:07:14 pm »
I can't give any advice about when to feed in the routine, because I am at the same point and trying to figure that out myself.

But as for the constipation - my son had been fairly regular, and then went several days without a bm after I started feeding him cereal. I put a thermometer in as if to take his temperature and gently stimulated the muscle, and that did the trick for him. It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 22:40:08 pm »
I am at the same point as you are.  I have been giving bottles at 7,11,3, and 7 and solids at 8:30, 12:30 and 5:30-6pm.  That way she can still take her naps at regualr times.  It becomes more of a E.A.E.A.S.Y. schedule at this point.
Jennifer

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 00:35:15 am »
Hi
Ive just started weaning William and have to admit to have been making it up as I go along with a bit of guidance from my health visitor! He has bottles at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm (ish).

Ive been giving him one meal a day of cereal made up with half of his bottle of formula from his lunchtime (11am) bottle and he has the cereal then drinks the rest of the bottle.

Ive just started giving him a second meal a day of veggies just before his 3pm bottle, then giving him his bottle straight after. The veggies dont seem to have dulled his appetite for his milk afterwards at all.

My way probably isnt the way that lots would use - but it works for William - so I guess thats the key - find a way that works for your LO - eating needs to be a positive experience for them so if one way works - use it xxx

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 00:56:26 am »
I am also on a four hour easy and weaning. We started solids a couple weeks ago. Here's what our schedule looks like and seems to be working great.

7am Breastfeed
11am Formula and solids after
3pm formula and solids after
6:30 breastfeed/bed

I tried doing solids in between breastfeeds/formula but then she wouldn't be hungry enough for her next feed. Since she should still be getting the majority of her calories from formula/breastmilk I didn't want to compromise that. I didn't think she would still be hungry after her formula but she's been doing great.  :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05