Author Topic: One formula feed in the evening???  (Read 1325 times)

Offline littlegrasshopper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 29, 2005, 16:50:06 pm »
I read somewhere you could do this. Know anything about it??
I pump sometimes but my lo eats every two hours and I'm busy with a toddler so it's hard. Here we have grandparents offering up to sit for us and we many times have to say no cause i didn't get pumping in. I thought at first I could pump during the feed... then eventually just drop that one off??? I nursed my first dd till 7 months and plan to do the same so I have about 5 months to go. I'm just a little nervous about messing with the supply.. not to mention... lo's digestive.... What do you think???

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
One formula feed in the evening???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 20:28:39 pm »
Funny, it's my second one who never got around to formula - just doing some now in food in case she decides to drink it from a cup, since she seems to be ignoring the bottle. :(

But with #1, she damaged my breasts so much with her bad latch that I ONLY gave her formula at night, including bedtime and night wakings, so I had some time to heal. It worked out OK, even mixed EBM and formula sometimes; although apparently it can cause issues in some babies, it worked out great for us to top off or to replace EBM at bedtime so DH could put her to bed any time.

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 20:47:39 pm »
I also found that after my LO's regular feeding frenzy late afternoon & early evening that I was sore & felt as thought there couldn't possibly be enough brest milk to settle LO when I put her down at night.

I gave her a bottle of formula before bed every night since she was 8 / 10 weeks old (she is now 22 weeks) and it has worked well for me, giving me time to "recover" & for my supply to get back up to strength.

I have tried stopping & going back to breast only on a number of occassions but she takes longer to settle & wakes more during the night & I go back to getting sore again. :)

Offline llambden

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 13:54:32 pm »
My little boy (12 weeks) gets a bottle around 8pm and then just before bed I give him my breast again.  At night he just wanted to feed off of me for 40min to 1 hour so we decide to add one bottle in.  This is working great because he sleeps through the night and he is happier.  I also will send a bottle to his gramma's or Auntie house if they are going to babysit and he takes it great.  I just can't feed and pump because my milk supply won't kept up, he is a big eater.

Lori
LORI

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 00:27:48 am »
If you're ok with offering formula, then once in a while without pumping is ok. At 2 months, your supply is still establishing so make sure to pump sometimes. For example, if you're going out to dinner and he gets a bottle, just pump when you get home. (you'll be engorged anyway) Try to keep to pumping when you would have fed. It is also pretty easy to pump with an ISIS in the car and put it in the fridge when you get home. LOL, I've done it!

If you can pump, of course that's better for him, especially at a young age. Some babies handle formula ok and some don't at all.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline littlegrasshopper

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 04:06:17 am »
Well now he's doing that nurse a lot thing again. We are at 10 weeks so perhaps it's another growth thing. I was also thinking I'm not drinking nearly enough water. I have a little Medela hand pump that sometimes I'm successful with and sometimes not. Mypreference would be to pump but I just don't have any saved up and was wanting to get out. Maybe I'll put off time out until I can get some saved up. Thanks everyone