Author Topic: napping on belly?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline jdipa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 29, 2005, 17:44:36 pm »
Hi!  My LO is 8 wks old.  He has a strong neck and has been holding his head up pretty well for a while.  He loves to sleep on his belly and his naps go much smoother when he naps on his stomach.  I start him off on his back, but after 30 minutes he's awake and crying.  Then when I put him on his belly, he's asleep instantly!  At what age can you nap them on their belly?  I'm paranoid and I keep checking on him.  He's not rolling over yet, so I know it's early.  Does anyone else do this and is it safe?  Thanks,

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
napping on belly?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 02:30:58 am »
I think it is something for you, dh and doctor to discuss.

That said, I can't say from experience as my LO was a back sleeper, but friend claimed all her LOs (2) liked to sleep on their tummys and they wouldn't nap any other way.

Offline mrshamilton24

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
napping on belly?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 03:11:23 am »
Well, speaking from experience, my dh and I went throught the same exact thing when our ds was only 5 weeks old and we finally decided to give in and let him sleep on his belly rather than endure all night/nap screaming.  Our ds too, would cry and cry and then the instant we placed him on his belly he would fall asleep and be happy and content.

However, if its possible, I slept even less than I did when he was so upset on his back.  I was paranoid about SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome)!!!!!!!  I kept the monitor on the highest volume just to be able to hear him breathing and often went in to check on him at least once an hour.  I just kept asking myself, "Is this really worth not hearing him cry?"

But....just like many things with motherhood, we "freak out" in the beginning of a new situation, after awhile, we calm down a bit and by the time  a few months has gone by, we feel silly for ever having worried in hte first place.  So, our ds is now 6 months old and a wonderfully happy baby that continues to sleep on his belly at all times.

It is a major decision, though. I personally, was too afraid to speak with my doctor about my dh and I's decision to let ds sleep on his belly beause I thought for sure I would get lectured or worse, have the child protective services (CPS) called on me.

Through all of this, I found out that my SIL and 2 friends experienced the same problem with back sleeping and all of their children are fine, healthy, and happy.  Also...you have to remember that when we were babies, our parents were always told the opposite, "Never put your baby on their back because they could choke on their own saliva/spit."  We all turned out fine (or so I like to think :) )

I hope this helps.  Good luck!  Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

-Christine

mommytsa

napping on belly?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 03:18:47 am »
I do not have experience with this, but my LO is a side sleeper, and often turns onto his belly.  I still freak out over it.  If you do decide to put your LO to sleep on his belly, i would consider one of those movement sensing monitors.  I know that would be the only way I'd be able to get any sleep, as I am still up on the few nights my lo sleeps through going in and checking on him to make sure he's still breathing, and he's 7 1/2 months old now.

Just an idea that might help you gain some piece of mind.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
napping on belly?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:10:56 am »
I definitely agree with Michelle and Christine that it is something that you and dh and your ped need to make a decision on together.  But, I have to say that our dd is a definite tummy sleeper and would never be able to sleep any other way.  We were afraid to try it until she was about 9 weeks old, but we did start putting her on her tummy for NAPS ONLY (still way to scared to do it at night that young).  Then once she started rolling over at about 5 months of age we didn't have much choice because at naps and at night she would end up on her tummy!

Good luck with your decision.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline jdipa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 13:30:05 pm »
thank you all, i just needed some reassurance!  he's napping on his bbelly right now!