Author Topic: Stopping Night Feedings  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Stopping Night Feedings
« on: December 29, 2005, 20:18:33 pm »
Samuel is 4 months 1 week old.  He was doing well going from 10 til 4ish at night.  He now is up several times through the night (though going to bed 8:30ish).  He eats, but not a lot, so I think it is more habit. 

What should I do to fix this?  Has anyone used the pu/pd technique in the middle of the night with success?  How do I know he ISN'T hungry (I know I should know his cries by now, but I don't)?  :?   Help.
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline melbatarseh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Stopping Night Feedings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 20:37:14 pm »
I don't really have an answer for you, this is more of an add on to your question.

I can't tell if my 5 1/2 month old is really hungry at night either.  Just like you, I know I should be able to tell by the way she cries, but I can't tell.  She's nursed in the middle of the night everytime she's woken since she was born, so obviously, she wants to nurse, but is it for comfort or hunger?  Who knows.

I've thought about trying PU/PD, but I'm overwhelmed and afraid of trying (afraid of the crying).
Mother of Isabella, born July 9, 2005

annamum

Stopping Night Feedings
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 22:26:46 pm »
I think at 4 months there are many things going on in their lives and frequent wakings may be for different reasons. I believe that breastfed babies may need a feed or even two feeds at that age during the night but if they are waking every hour or two, that is not a hunger issue, at least, in my opinion.

When they are genuinely hungry they take a good feed, usually at night they are more relaxed and they feed slower and longer. If he is just pacifying himself he will not swallow, at least after the innitial let down, observe his chin for it, if he moves only his lips and his chin is not moving he is not taking any milk. If you see that he is just using your breast to put himself back to sleep you may decide which wakings you will let him feed, and when you will use other methods. Try sleep boards to get help :D.

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Stopping Night Feedings
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 15:07:22 pm »
Thanks.  I've been reading all the sleep boards I can, but I seem to get conflicting info, so now I'm totally confused.  I know I have to do what's right for him, but I don't even know at this point.  I don't want to confuse him more (like I am!).  I read that they may be eating less thru the day because they're distracted & need the night feeds & I think that may be part true.  At the same time, I know he doesn't eat alot before he goes back down.  He doesn't take a soother, so I can't even use that at night to help.  Guess I'll just have to figure it out somehow.

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 15:55:27 pm »
We did pu/pd with our dd & it worked.  She had been sleeping thru the night, then got an ear infection at 3 mos & started getting up in the night again.  Once the infection was better & she was still waking up I figured it must be habit.  I didn't think she was hungry since she had slept thru the night before without eating & when she had the infection, we give her tylenol & cuddles & she'd go back to sleep.  I also always had a hard time telling by her cry if she was hungry!  :roll:

We just started giving her a couple minutes when she'd fuss to give her a chance to go back to sleep on her own - then if she didn't, would go in, pick her up & soothe, then lay her back down.  It took a couple nights, but she's been sleeping thru again ever since.  Good luck!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Stopping Night Feedings
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 16:09:58 pm »
OH, thank you.  I need to find the stamina to make it happen then I think I'll try pu/pd.  But I'm afraid that if he doesn't settle, I'll give in & feed him then I'm worse off than ever.  But then what if he IS hungry, because he is distracted in the daytime so may be eating less.

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 16:20:14 pm »
Maybe try cluster feeding before bed or introducing a dreamfeed if you're not doing that already??  Or if really in doubt, try feeding him & see what happens - I don't think one night would throw things too far off.  If he eats a lot, you have your answer.  If he doesn't, move on to pu/pd. 

Let us know what happens!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Stopping Night Feedings
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 16:57:49 pm »
I haven't tried dream feed - I'm sort of afraid of the idea.  Cluster feeding we do... or now that I think of it not as much as we used to, hmmm.  Also trying to feed more in the day 'meals' not 'snacks' & disassociating sleeping & feeding.  It will be a process.  I know I shouldn't try too many things at once, but I'll see how he does.
Thanks for your support.