Author Topic: 30 months and playing in crib for hours  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Megan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
30 months and playing in crib for hours
« on: December 30, 2005, 20:10:52 pm »
My son who has always been an awesome sleeper is now going in for his nap arund 1:00 and somedays plays for 3 hours and never sleeps. This has been off and on for at least 2 months.  He does not complain or anything. i am not sure what to do, it seems to be happening more frequently.  Then somedays he will fall asleep right away or play and then sleep. He is all over the place. Bedtime is around 8 . wake up in the am is between 7 and 8. Now potty training is an issue he is doing really well on the potty. now at naps he calls me to tell me he has to go on the potty , but for two days he has not fallen asleep at nap time..  What to do  Does he need to give up naps at only 2.5??? I am not ready for him to give up naps.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

30 months and playing in crib for hours
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 20:27:22 pm »
From my experience it's a transition time, naps here have come and gone and then come back again.  My ds first tried giving them up at 22mths, but after 2wks of an overtired boy (it was hard to enforce quiet time and also my dd was just a newborn), I really worked to get the naps going again (sometimes, I needed to lie down with him, others just an extra long snuggle/calm down, others I just put him in bed as usual).  I would continue to just get by as you are but try and keep the routine as normal as possible - once my ds got in his head that I was going to let him out of the room for quiet play he expected it every day (quiet play in his room didn't really happen here since he has no toys in there and his room is too close to my dd's).  If he handles the day fine without a nap though I guess you could drop it, a lot of kids do seem to and do ok without.  I just noticed that my ds got more and more tired as the days went on so he did need it.  At 31mths he's just come out of a no-napping phase and is back having them again.

If you're finding bedtime and nights are the same with or without the nap I'd just continue to put him in his room and encourage quiet time and if he naps he does and if not no worries.