Author Topic: How awake does my baby have to be to feed? Need advice  (Read 994 times)

Offline jvernon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How awake does my baby have to be to feed? Need advice
« on: December 30, 2005, 21:19:35 pm »
My 2.5 week old baby is always almost half asleep when being b/f ( day 3 of the EASY)
would it be best to change his bottom as he is more awake afterwards & then to feed or just carry on feeding this way then change his bottom? And how much more activity should he have? He is sleeping for 1.5- 2hrs between day feeds

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 00:43:55 am »
It is pretty normal for them to be sleepy for feeds still. Mine both woke up a lot at 3-4 weeks old. Sometimes a diaper change in the middle of a feed helps. Or talking to them, rubbing their back, massaging their legs while they nurse will keep them more awake. Each baby is a little different.

Awake time will probably be 30-60 min at this point, starting at when he wakes to feed. So if he nurses 30 min, he may only be happy/alert for 5-20 min before it is time to lay him back down for a nap. Very calm alert periods, like staring at you or a wall, are the best active/alert periods at this age.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:48:26 am »
I agree with Stacy. Also, there are babies who have almost no activity time after they are finished with nursing, they just can't stay awake at such a young age. It is both normal to have a very alert baby who goes 1 hour and a very sleepy one who just eats and naps all the rest of the time. However, they just grow out of this sleepy stage pretty soon.