Author Topic: Sudden drop in supply at 7 1/2 mos?  (Read 892 times)

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: December 30, 2005, 02:28:16 am »
The last couple days in the late afternoon/early evening, my dd has been more fussy than usual.  Tonight, I nursed her at 6:30 (felt the let down, know she got milk) - she finished on both sides & started fussing a lot & crying.  I tried different things to calm her, nothing worked, then decided to make 2 oz of formula in a bottle - just to see if maybe she was still hungry.  She gulped them right down, then ate 3 more oz & was happy again.  This has never happened before...

She's been mostly ebf (only an occasional bottle of formula when I'm not there & there's not enough frozen breastmilk to give her) up to now & I've never had supply issues.  She nurses 5 times per day - around 7:30 am, 11:30, 3:00, 6:30 & 9:30 pm.  She has some solids immediately after nursing 2 times/day. 

Is it possible she just needs more food all of a sudden?  Should I up her solids intake?  Or, is it possible to suddenly have a drop in my supply?  I'm confused about what to do & appreciate any advice anyone has!

Thanks!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

mommytsa

Sudden drop in supply at 7 1/2 mos?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 02:45:08 am »
The same thing happened to me about a month ago.  I got my period back a few days after my supply plummetted.  So if you haven't started menstrauting again, that may very well be the culprit.  If that's the case, just try to offer more and/or pump more often, and you should be alright.  I have now gotten my period for a second time, and this time the drop in supply was not nearly as bad.
HTH

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Sudden drop in supply at 7 1/2 mos?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 00:24:11 am »
I agree with the pp. Make sure to watch your water and calorie intake too. You need enough of both to keep up your supply. I get so dehydrated in these winter months from all the dry indoor air.

I don't think I'd offer more solids unless she is crying for more food at the end of the day and you don't have it. Make sure you are nursing her the normal amount of times because offering solids/formula "solves" the problem but without breast stimulation, your supply will drop.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies