Author Topic: Sleeping through vs engorged, leaking breasts  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Michelle L

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleeping through vs engorged, leaking breasts
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:33:14 am »
I'm just starting to try the EASY routine, my little girl is 5 1/2 wks.  I'm just wondering what to do when I wake up in the middle of the night engorged and leaking and she's still sleeping (usually happens after 3-4 hours since last feed.)  Should I wake her, pump, or just dribble?

We had some lack weight gain issues up to now and had been feeding every 2hrs or so during the day (even if it meant waking her up) to try to put weight on her.  At night I've been going on demand (either hers or mine).  Weight gain is on track now.

I'm still reading the book, so have much more to learn.

Thanks
Michelle&Julianna

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 20:12:16 pm »
Definitely let the breast dribble as it will allow your body to adjust to when you need to feed...if you pump, you will keep having the problem & if you feed, her night sleep will start having habitual wakings
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sav

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 23:46:14 pm »
It is kind of a matter of how much you can tolerate.  My little guy skipped his 2 am feed last night and slept through until 5, by 4 am it was unbearably uncomfortable so i got up and just pumped 2 oz as i knew he would be getting up soon to feed.  I think the breasts will 'regulate' themselves over time but if it is painful there is no need to suffer.

Hans

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:14:42 am »
Had the same problem at that stage.  Night feed were inconsistent, so sometimes would wake up soaking wet.  It works itself out.  I sometimes stuffed a towel up my shirt until morning!

Offline Michelle L

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 20:01:17 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  Last night I woke up soaked so I pumped a couple ounces and stuck it in the fridge, of course Little Miss woke up about 15 minutes later (after over 6.5hrs sleep, a new record!) so she got breast and bottle.  Tonight I will try stuffing my shirt and let things flow.  :)

Thanks
M&J