Author Topic: When to stop dream feeding  (Read 1321 times)

Offline gmmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 02, 2006, 20:40:33 pm »
This may have been answered at some point, so I apologize in advance. I'm confused about when to stop doing the dream feeds. My five month old daughter was sleeping wonderfully through the night (about 10-12hrs.).  Like many of these postings, she too has shifted gears and has been waking two, three times during the night.  I got back into giving her the breast thinking she was hungry (my mother told me she probably wasn't getting enough calories during the day).  I started the dream feeds (which I think are working), and nurse her every chance I get when she's awake.  The first night I did it, she nursed for a good 10 minutes.  Last night, (day four of dream feeds) she nursed for only four minutes.  Does this mean she's getting what she needs during the day? Do I continue tonight?   I read Tracy's sleep interview but was confused as to how many nights I do this. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Michelle

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
When to stop dream feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:51:54 am »
I don't df myself, but I do know that it isn't recommended that the df be dropped until they are firmly established on solids at around 8months.

The other thing to take into account is feeding more often in the day can cause snacking, which can result in lots of smaller feeds & not enough being stored for the night, so it is actually better to feed every 3.5 to 4 hours in the day & maybe 3hours in the late afternoon, than too offer too often.

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline gmmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:18:46 am »
That's what I needed to hear.  Thank you! It makes sense about the snacking.  I want her to get all that she needs during the day. I guess I was confused. Thanks again!