Author Topic: Throwing a fit when the sancks are over?????  (Read 969 times)

Offline dmills

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Throwing a fit when the sancks are over?????
« on: December 31, 2005, 12:27:33 pm »
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: 15mos. and constantly throwing a fit over grapes!!     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, ladies. I am at a loss. My ds is just 15 mos. and has decided that if he is in the kitchen, can see the kitchen, or etc... that he needs to be eating. Now I will give him a snack from time to time, but when I cut him off, especially if it is grapes he has been eating, then he just loses it. I have tried the this is it line, I have tried takling him form the kitchen to distract him, but he wails and gets completely worked up. What should we do? We have tried taking him into his bedroom and rocking him, getting out a favorite toy, but he keeps going. Last night we ignored it and just watched what he did and he kept at it forever. He just moved around crying and clenching and flopping to the ground and burrowing into things. Finally, I sat in his room and started reading a book I made for him and after a bit he came to me so I could read it to him. Are we wrong to ignore and see if he will get through it? I know we could give him a paci to possibly curtail it, but he only has it at bedtime and naps and hate to start a new habit. Any suggestions?????   

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 18:25:00 pm »
hi,

I have no experience of this or great advice, but have you tried distracting him? I know it is hard but i think being persistent and consistent is the trick with toddlers :roll:

anyway hopefully you will get some more replies.

HTH :D
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 18:45:38 pm »
My ds is like this (not so much anymore actually now I think about it, well the time of day has shifted  :roll: ) - it used to be impossible for me to cook dinner because he'd want the food right there and then even if it was ages from dinner and if he'd only just eaten (I couldn't even go into the kitchen without him wanting food).  These might not apply to your situation, but what I started to do was prepare a range of snacks before he decided he was really hungry to at least try and break the begging habit, get him engaged in that before going to the kitchen.  If you know you want to go and cook dinner, prepare a part of dinner that he can nibble on while you're preparing the rest, I often would offer some raw tomato, carrot sticks etc and pop on a DVD (the only I would rely on it as a distraction) - do it while your ds is being positive and before the negativity sets in.  That way he is still eating some of what I would like him to eat and if he is actually hungry, it's holding him off a little.  Are you filling him up at each meal time?  I find my ds is now really hungry from waking up in the morning until lunchtime - he basically keeps eating and soooo much!  If there is a particular food that he's always wanting (my son does this too),  I offer some of what he wants along with something else.  If he keeps saying he wants some more of xx, I say that we've had enough of xx today and that too much of xx might make his tummy sore (I don't lie and say it's all gone because he knows it's not), and say if he's still hungry he can have either xx or xx (two choices that I'm happy with either way and I know that he likes). He knows now that if he is hungry he will pick one, if he's not then he generally gets bored of my consistent response and goes off and plays.  This has been a long process for us though.

My other thought is, if he is really hungry, are you offering enough protein in his diet?  This is a good energy food that lasts a long time.  Sometimes a small chunk of cheese as a snack is really good.  Or if you do peanut butter, some on a cracker or something.

HTH