Author Topic: Now More Confused by Night Wakings  (Read 925 times)

Offline lkc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 09, 2006, 17:37:18 pm »
11 WO DD usually would wake around 2 AM and 5 Am for feed.  Since starting EASY two weeks ago and adding the DF, she has missed the 2 AM feed once already by herself. 

However, the last two nights, have been a different story.  The first night she woke slightly earlier, around 2 AM so I reswaddled and put her back to bed.  She then woke again at 3 AM and I gave her the paci and she sucked ferociously for over an hour.  She would not go back to bed and was very active, trying to get out of swaddle. She was sitll in semi-consciousness since she closed her eyes many times but would not fall asleep.  I ended up feeding her around 5 AM since it took that long to put her back to sleep anyway.  She took a full feed and went down really easy after that. 

The second night, she woke again, a little earlier this time around 1 AM and I reswaddled and put her back to bed.  She woke again around 2 AM and this time she sucked on the paci for close to 2 hours and fell asleep but kept waking up.  Again, I ended up feeding her around 5 AM.    However, this time DD did not take full feed and would not latch on.  I gave up with the feed and put her back to bed.  She went down easily again. 

I am now confused what to do tonight if it happens again.  Seems like she is waking up from habit but I'm not sure.  She is very angry when she wakes up from this but does not give out the hunger cry, at least the second night she didn't (I think).  Since DD did not take full feed, does that confirm its habitual waking, not hunger?  What do I do tonight if she wakes around the same time?  She went through a growth spurt couple of days ago and I have since upped her calorie intake during the day.  Hope I am not forcing the issue but seems like she is ready to sleep through the night?  Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post.  Too many questions--I am so confused by this.

Lori

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Now More Confused by Night Wakings
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 23:00:01 pm »
At 11 weeks, she is probably still hungry at night.  At that age, 5 hours is considered sleeping through, and is very good!  What time do you put her down?  If she goes 5 hours from her first feed, that's the bulk of her night.  You may want to try a df before you go to bed, and maybe she could go 5 hours from then.  It takes a while for them to catch on, but that's what I would try first!
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er

Offline lkc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 19:28:15 pm »
Hi--thanks for the response.  DD's beditme is 8:00 but I would like to make it 7:30.  Then I forgot to mention I do DF around 10:30 or 11:00.   

Unfortunately, she has had a string of bad days with going to bed recently.  She is either up from waking after 45 min or waking right before DF.  However, the last night she started to stir around 2:30 and I let her resettle.  She squirmed in her sleep until 5 AM and then I fed her.  This is the second night she has done this in the last week so maybe she will do it on her own.   

She jolts pretty hard sometimes in the night after a long stretch and early in the morning.  Her jolts usually last between 1-2 hours.  Then she usually wakes after that.  Is this considered a "good rest"  I have tried to reswaddle her during these periods since she constantly gets out and I get worried when it covers her face, but she wakes up from this 50% of the time. 

Still having problems with dd waking after 45 min at naps and bedtime.  We are trying to keep activity throughout the day very low key and really concentrate on winddown.  Hope this all works out soon.

Lori