Author Topic: Flax Seed? Wheat Germ?...what?? Adding to Solids  (Read 2161 times)

Offline hopper116

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Flax Seed? Wheat Germ?...what?? Adding to Solids
« on: December 31, 2005, 18:22:04 pm »
Okay, I'm a new Mommy, and I'm still learning!

My ds is 8 months old, and I've been "researching."  He is on a kick where is is NOT interested in his bottle, he wants SOLIDS!  I've been reading on what I should do.  DS Ped said he should be getting approximately 24 oz of formula per day, and he's NOT.

I've read where some Mom's add to their dc solids with flax seed, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, etc.  First of all, I don't know what half of that stuff is, and secondly, my ds has no teeth yet, so is that safe (don't laugh)?

Am I suppose to be adding "stuff" with his solids, because I'm not.  I wonder if I should because I'm stressing over his lack of interest in his bottle/formula.  Also, when do most dc drop to 3 bottles a day?  I thought if I possibly drop to 3bottles, he might take more. 

I do feed him his bottle before any solids.  He's a good weight, and a very healthy child, but I'm soooooo stressed as to what the heck I'm suppose to be doing right now with this formula/solids drama!
Please, any advice?

Thanks so much!
Stephanie

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 03:31:59 am »
OK, Stephanie, here's a run down of what that stuff is.  First of all, flaxseed is rich in Omega 3 Fatty acids, which are essential for proper brain growth in everyone.  Fatty fish, and some other things also are rich in Omega 3's, but flaxseed isn't yucky like taking fish oil, or eating fish.  You can purchase flaxseed in oil form, or in the seed form.  If you use the oil, it is perishable and will need to be refrigerated.  You can mix it into cereal, or with fruit, veggie, whatever.  If you use flaxseeds themselves, you will need to grind them to a powder in a food processor.  Same thing if you want to add nuts and seeds to your baby's foods.  Nuts and seeds are rich in antioxidants and fats, which are very good for the baby at this time.  Yogurt is a good food to mix ground nuts and seeds into, and it adds a nice texture.  Your baby does not need teeth to eat any of this as long as you grind it up.  Wheatgerm is already ground, and it is also a very good supplement with lots of vitamins and minerals.  Brewer's Yeast too, which has a nutty flavor is rich in good stuff.

Bottom line is it is up to you, and you alone to decide if and what you will add to your baby's food.  I am choosing to add these supplements because I believe that they are very nutritious and will benefit my baby's health and immune system.  I have introduced them slowly, particularly the nuts and seeds, to make sure there's no allergy.  So far we have tried flaxseed oil and brewer's yeast.   And all of this stuff can be found at your local health food store.  Hope that helps and PM me if you have more questions.
Chloe

Offline NikiB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Mum to Saskia, born 18-Jan-05
    • Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 24/7
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 20:18:31 pm »
I give my daughter Flaxseed oil in her milk because she's veggie and its rich in Omega's 3 & 6.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 18:13:40 pm »
Niki, does the flax oil give your DD gas?  My DD gets gassy when I give it to her, but I was wondering if she will just need to get used to it?

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 18:23:27 pm »
We buy whole flaxseeds and grind them down to a fine powder. We sprinkle it over cereal and put it with yoghurt.

You can add it to almost anything as it has a very mild taste of nut.
Don't give too much though as it can become like a laxative. I think babies should only have about 1/2-1 teaspoon of it per day.

It is supposed to be great for cleansing the bowels and help to keep you regular.
Rhian

Offline NikiB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Mum to Saskia, born 18-Jan-05
    • Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 24/7
Re: Flax Seed? Wheat Germ?...what?? Adding to Solids
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 18:22:43 pm »
Hi, no she isn't overly windy! Although I tend to give it her in her milk at night so she may guff alot when she's asleep and I wouldn't know! I only give her 1 tspn although she's just turned 1 so I may up it a little.