Author Topic: Difficult Feedings  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Difficult Feedings
« on: December 31, 2005, 21:21:57 pm »
My 10WO DD has been having trouble eating for the last week or so.  She'll eat a little bit, then arch her back and thrust her legs.  And, sometimes she'll pull her legs up towards her chest.  She spits the bottle, will shake/turn her head and let out a little cry.  But, when we offer the bottle again, she'll take it have a few sucks and repeat this. 

We're thinking she's having tummy pains, but when we burp her nothing comes up.  I thought with reflux, she would be happy when she's swallowing and fussy when off the bottle.  And, I read the post on dysphasia, but she doesn't double swallow and doesn't consistently get congested when eating.  She's always been a slow eater, but it's getting very difficult these days.

Any ideas?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Difficult Feedings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 21:31:03 pm »
My dd did that around 2-3 months, but when she was bf.  I immediately assumed reflux, her doctor gave us meds, but there was so little improvement I eventually had to stop bfing as I was losing my supply since she wasn't eating.  My advice to you would be to call her doctor, and possibly change nipple size or brand.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Difficult Feedings
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
Hi

If you're worried about reflux then I'd definitely get it checked out. In the meantime I'd try changing to the next flow nipple - it could be that the milk just isn't coming quickly enough and she's getting frustrated.

love
Marie

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
Difficult Feedings
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 16:15:37 pm »
I feel kind of like an idiot...I think she was just full.  :oops:  Although she has been doing this for a while off and on.  But, she had shots about a week ago and that honked everything up - sleep, feeds, etc.  So, if you can believe this, I think her tummy shrunk from skipping some feeds and taking smaller ones when she did eat.  So, I was still expecting her to take her 4+ ounces and she's really only able to take about 3.5 ounces.  So, we'd keep trying to get her to eat.  And, she'd keep trying (aren't they supposed to stop when they're full?!?)

Thanks for the feedback.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 15:03:26 pm »
My midwife told me that that behaviour can mean that the milk is too "thin" and not rich enough anymore. Breastfed babies do that for a while and then the breastmilk gets more nutritious...

So my bottlefed son did that when he was about 7 weeks old and we switched to the hungrier baby milk. He is fine now...