Author Topic: night wakings only crying not hungry  (Read 1207 times)

Offline mariaotto

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 27, 2005, 18:10:48 pm »
Hi,
My baby is 6 months old, she sleeps well but almost everyday she starts crying between 4 and 6 am, I have to put on the pacifier, and she usually sleeps again. Sometimes she wakes up and she cries a lot, doesn't want the bottle, looks like she wants just to go back to sleep. Any suggestion for what she has or what could I do so she won't cry or awake anymore?
Thanks

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
night wakings only crying not hungry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 22:23:23 pm »
my thought is it is the Paci, if that settles her back, it has become a habit for her to wake when she gets into a "light" sleep phase (very common between 4 & 7am) & need it to go back to sleep.

I think you need to break the habit of the paci, at that time either with Pat/sh or Pu/pd (see pu/pd board for how to do)

It is also very common for non feed related sleep problems to develop in the 2nd 6mo of life, they have huge developmental leaps in this time & sleep is often affected & paci's can become a prop for sleep & cause other problems. So you need to make sure you have good consistent patterns for sleep in place

i am currently dealing with "early waking" with my 7mo & it isn't fun I know as my day has started at 5am most days as my baby wakes my toddler & that is it for him sleeping :cry:
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 22:31:08 pm »
My 4 1/2 month old is doing that.  Up at 4, 5, 6...  We just started pu/pd this morning.  I had been feeding him back to sleep... BAAAAD habit!
Good luck!
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 22:31:23 pm »
My 4 1/2 month old is doing that.  Up at 4, 5, 6...  We just started pu/pd this morning.  I had been feeding him back to sleep... BAAAAD habit!
Good luck!
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
EArly morning feed
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 00:43:21 am »
I don't know if that is such a 'bad' thing to do?  I found that the 5 am mark is 6 hours past the dream feed and my dd (5 months old) would take a full feed at that point, so she is obviously needing it.  Before, she wouldn't go back to sleep after 5 and now she often sleeps to 7 or a little later with that feed.  We have gone through ALL the ways to increase milk supply and make sure she is getting enough cals during the day (started solids recently) and have found she simply still needs that extra feed.  Is that really so terrible at this age??

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 00:44:10 am »
By the way, we had already tried pu/pd and wake to sleep for a good 4 weeks before trying the 5 am feed.