Author Topic: How to do "wake to sleep" to correct early riser  (Read 1218 times)

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How to do "wake to sleep" to correct early riser
« on: January 01, 2006, 18:56:18 pm »
My dd has been getting up at 5:30 am for a couple weeks (I can't remember when or how this started - I asked my husband yesterday if she ever slept later than 6 am since the time changed! I guess she did for awhile!) I think last year I successfully did the "wake to sleep" method to extend her morning sleep, and I'm trying to remember exactly how to do this. I don't have that book, although I may go look for it today.

I think it's something like you wake the child 1-2 hrs before they've been waking (in my case, I'm thinking around 4 am) for 3 nights in a row, and it resets their sleep clock. Does this sound right? How much do I need to wake her? Just as a resettling, or does she need to be fully awake?
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Benjaminsmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 13:56:44 pm »
Hi, Yes just set your alarm to wake you up about 1 hour before your LO is normally waking.
Just enough so settle herself back to sleep, not fully awake.
You do this for about 3-4 nights.
Good luck
Maxine

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 14:34:17 pm »
I tried this with Carmela.  She was waking at 5:00 so at 4:00 DH would get up and flush the toilet.  I didn't want to do anything too crazy to wake her totally because Carmela is the type once she's up, she's up ... I heard to change their diaper (though don't know if that's for the younger babies or over a year) and then put htem right back in.  I will say we did it for 3 nights and it worked - for about a week.  Good luck!

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 22:24:22 pm »
Thanks, so the first night I think I went in a little on the early side (closer to 2 hours before). Last night I went in about 1 hour before the recent wake-up time, and sure enough, I think it woke her up too much, because then she was up for good about half an hr later (4:50 am). I'll try for another night or 2 though, because she's got to get to a later time! I feel like a zombie and I think I'm a part owner now of the Starbucks down the street!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001