Author Topic: Please advise: getting back to sleep  (Read 1119 times)

Offline jusbethw

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Please advise: getting back to sleep
« on: January 01, 2006, 19:55:47 pm »
Our 3.5 month old dd is on Axid for reflux.  We are using the 3 hour EASY routine, and she does very well with going to sleep, but wakes frequently in the night.  The waking seems to become more frequent as the night goes on.  She goes to bed at 7 and usually goes for a 4 hour stretch.  We are still feeding her every 3-4 hours during the night. 

She sleeps swaddled with one hand by her mouth, in her crib, which is elevated.  She usually uses a pacifier when going to sleep, but then spits it out.  She has gone to sleep without it, too.

When she wakes, if enough time has not passed for a feed, we go in and try to shh/pat, replace the pacifier, and reswaddle if necessary.  We are following the BW guidelines, trying to avoid accidental parenting, but you know how hard this can be with reflux- wanting to make sure she's not in pain. 

So- how can we help her to sleep longer and get back to sleep independently at night?   Do we need to try pu/pd?  Is she pacifier-dependent?  Are we missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:16:26 am »
at 3.5 months i think it is fairly common to be feeding every 3-4 hours at night.  i don't know much about reflux but does she take smaller feeds due to this condition?  if so i imagine she will need to make up calories at night until her day feeds increase.  if she is already taking full feeds every 3 hrs in daytime i still think the way to judge the nightwakings is if she takes a full feed when she wakes.  if she just has a little bit and then goes back to sleep or plays then it is soemthing to address.  if she takes a decent feed then it is just normal hunger for her age.

Quote (selected)
When she wakes, if enough time has not passed for a feed, we go in and try to shh/pat, replace the pacifier, and reswaddle if necessary

how long is "enough time?" are you looking at 3-4 hr minimums?  did she already have a growth spurt as 3 mo is a traditional one - my lo ate 3 times a night at that GS.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline jusbethw

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 20:30:45 pm »
Deb, thanks for responding.

Yes, 3 hours is our minimum (long enough).  We want to be consistent with not getting into extra feedings.

We have had one night of a six-hour sleep since I posted this, which was great. 

From reading on the thread of Sept/Oct Mums (on Activity/EASY), it does look like some other little ones the same age are still waking.  I guess we just wanted reassurance that we weren't missing something.

Thanks!