Author Topic: EASY not solving night wakings for my bub. Please help!!!!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline rensunshine

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY not solving night wakings for my bub. Please help!!!!
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:27:38 am »
I have tried to stick to a 3 hourly routine with my now 14 week old ds for the last 2-3 weeks and it just doesn't seem to work for me. 

I started the shush/pat settling technique when my ds was only 7 weeks old and although it worked sometimes it really didn't start helping until he was about 12 weeks old. 

I still use the method to get him to sleep during the day and it's getting easier as he is growing (which i am very thankful for!) and he now sleeps for 1-1.5 hours sometimes 2 hours, around three times a day.  Never more than about 5 hours in total.

My ds has always protested when put to sleep on his back so we bought a baby snuggler (wedge) and had him on his side since about 8 weeks old.  That worked for us then (waking every 3 hours with a 4-5 hour stretch from 7pm )but ever since he has been able to roll onto his back from his side and get out of the snuggler, his night wakings have increased to every 1 to 1.5 hours.  I know he is not hungry cos he never takes a full feed and then he is up again at 4, 4.30, 5 and 6 am.  I offer him a feed around 5 or 6 and always shush/pat him back to sleep until 7am when i try to start the day. 

Because of his frequent night wakings he does not follow EASY well at all, not lasting more than 1 hour for Activity and often eating and sleeping instead of E and then A.  He went through 2 weeks of refusing feeds (fully bf apart from when i leave him with grandparents or the dreamfeed that dh gives in a bottle) and drs said it was reflux.  He has been on Zoton for over a week now and although his feeding is back to normal (still refuses the bottle) he is still waking up all night. 

I am at loss as to what else it could be.  Developmental changes?  Stop using the wedge?  But he won't sleep on his back!  Please some advice, tips anything.
From a very sleep deprived mother
Patience is a virtue

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 12:29:18 pm »
You poor Mom!  I don't have much to suggest other than perhaps a tight swaddle?  If he's getting out of the snuggler and that's when he started waking more, maybe he needs to feel more tightly cuddled at night.  Also, if he's more tightly swaddled, possibly he won't roll onto his back...

Have you talked to your doctor about lying him on his tummy to sleep?  I know this is controversial so young, but some babies with reflux tend to do better on their stomach.  I'd check first with the doc, though, to be safe.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 15:59:30 pm »
If a baby has never been swaddled, is that too late to start doing it, at 14 weeks?  My 4 1/2 month old is really kicking his legs when he's put down & I wonder if that will help or just frustrate him more.  I've never swaddled him, though.
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 20:53:12 pm »
I'm not completely sure, but you could try.  He might just be kicking his legs because he doesn't really want to be asleep. :roll: It can be part of their settling routine. I found swaddling more helpful for the flailing arms and for the sense of being snuggled in.
Erin

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 21:04:12 pm »
That's what I wondered, that it might make him mad being constricted, esp when he isn't used to it. 
Thanks!
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline smithfields

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 20:06:10 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  We did swaddle up until 3 weeks ago when it started getting really hot here (oz) and he was sweating heaps plus he liked to put his hands in his mouth so we left both arms out in the end.  I have tried putting him on his tummy but he doesn't like that as he has never been a fan of tummy time.

The sleepless nights continue and even getting worse.  I have tried putting him on his back between the snuggler but he didn't sleep well at all.  The drs think it's reflux and put him on Zoton but i'm not so sure if that's the issue here or it is just the positioning. 

Does anyone have a bub with silent reflux waking up lots at night?

Oh, how i long to sleep!
Sleep deprivation is a form of torture!!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:46:51 am »
Have you checked on the reflux board? Might find some suggestions there.  And as for swaddling in hot weather - it can be done!  You leave them in just a diaper and use a really lightweight fabric (I think some moms have used something like cheesecloth...).  There's also the Aussie swaddle method that's designed to leave their hands near their mouth for sucking, but still keep them wrapped.  Just a thought!
Erin

Offline mothergloose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 13:34:43 pm »
My son does the slamming of his legs on to the mattress as well... I think he started it at about 3mths to indicate that he was awake, could no longer amuse himself and wanted a feed... usually it accompanies crying.

Erin, where in Montreal are you?  My hubby's from there - we moved back to Oz about a year ago and 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant.

Smithfields - the recent heat and humidity here really affected my boy's naps during the day.  He wouldn't sleep long (about .5-1hr) when he had been having a pretty good routine.  We also swaddle him (mainly with a light cloth and to bind his arms enough so if he jerked he wouldn't wake) but with the heat I started to unwrap (at least 1 arm) after he fell asleep.

Glynis - I'm also having the occasional problem of the kicking/banging of legs when put down for the night. I'm guessing he doesn't want to be asleep (even if overtired) and it's frustration.

Cheers!
Rochelle
Rochelle
DS Liam - 18/8/05

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 14:08:00 pm »
with the reflux, do you have the crib at an incline at all? When they have reflux it can be uncomfortable to sleep on their back. Thats why he preferd sleeping on his side. Your LO may need to be put on an incline while sleeping.
Kimberly

Offline rensunshine

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 23:32:34 pm »
Hi again.  I am in Brisbane as well so the hot weather and humidity have been dreadful as we have no air con at home.  I stopped swaddling a few weeks ago cos he was getting out of the muslin wrap and i couldnt wrap in a bunny rug cos it is just way too hot.  My ds also sleeps in a baby snuggler so that makes it even hotter. 
I have inclined the cot with yellow pages under the legs and now a pillow as well under the top of the mattress.  We have tried wrapping him again, putting him on his back to sleep, on his side, snuggler, no snuggler, every position you can imagine!  I am losing my mind trying to figure out whether it is reflux or just a sleep problem.
He is feeding a bit better now (bf) but will still refuse the bottle and we have tried all teats and bottles.  I am so tired of fighting with him to have it and then fighting to get him to sleep.  Even in the cooler weather he has trouble staying asleep and now i am finding it hard to put him down for a nap too.
Any suggestions?
Patience is a virtue