Author Topic: MOVING INTO A BIG BED  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Benjaminsmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« on: January 02, 2006, 13:53:19 pm »
My ds is nearly 21 months and Santa has taken his cot and left him a bed.  He loves playing on it during the day and climbing in and out. 
We have been away for the Christmas period at my parents and the first night back puthim into his bed.  He was a bit unsettled but after about 5 minutes of going back in and laying him back down (not getting out of his cot at this stage) he was fast asleep, he woke a few times during the night but settled himself without us going in to settle him. 
This happened for the first few nights and i thought WOW this is easier than i thought it would be - Famous last words!!
For the past two nights i think he has had a bit of a tummy ache (really bad nappies!!) and it has made him very unsettled.  My DH was up for 3 hours last night trying to get him to sleep.  He was getting out of his bed and coming to the stair gate across his door and then we would put him back to bed.  He was screaming and clinging to us.  In the end we bought him into bed with us (I know I can see you all cringing now), even in bed he was unsettled and kept crying out in pain.
Am I doing the right thing by everytime putting him back into bed and then waiting until he appears again?  Do you think he is ready for his bed?  I don't want to confuse him and put him back into his cot again and still be unsettled.
Please help, he was such a good sleeper but since the visit to my parents it has all gone out of the window.
We used to be able to give him his milk put him in his cot and we would not hear a peep out of him until morning.

Thanks I know its a long one!!
Maxine :D

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 17:35:56 pm »
I personally have not dealt with this transition yet.  My one thought is that  he is not feeling well, and that is causing it.  Or, it could just be the holidays and being away that is catching up to him.

Sorry, I am not much help!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline zayandme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 18:32:14 pm »
Being sick sounds like the culprit- do you have a pack and play that you could put in a spare room for a few nights- or in his own room- until he gets better? I think I'd worry more about the getting out of bed becoming a habit than transitioning back into the big bed when he feels better. Just a thought.
Hope he starts feeling better- I know tummy problems are no fun!
Sarah,Mom of Isaiah, Textbook/Touchy
Jesus said, " Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 18:58:50 pm »
I'd say if he was still unsettled in your bed, then it's tummy or re-adjusting from the holidays.  My dd loved her big girl bed at first and now is fighting bedtime, but I don't think it has to do with the bed but rather that she doesn't want to go to sleep.  So, when she comes to her door, she gets put back into bed and told that it's time for night night, please stay in your bed.  I think that's the right tactic as it's been working for us, but his tummy is probably working against you.  I'd do what you need to for the next few days until he's feeling better and then go back to putting him into his bed when he gets out.  The less interaction in that process the better too.  Good luck!

Offline Benjaminsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 21:15:49 pm »
Thanks for all your support.  Well last night it took us about 5 minutes to get him to sleep at bedtime.  He slept until 2.30am, got out of his bed and let us know he was awake.  I went to him, didn't say anything put him back to bed and that was it until 6.45am this morning when we had to wake him up to get ready for nursery.
Tonight he has been full of beans so has only just gone to bed, but without a fuss, just rolled over and we left him to it.  Finger crossed we will have another night like last night if not better - without a wake at all.
It must have been getting back home after the holiday period and going into a big bed and having a tummy ache that made him a bit unsettled. A lot to handle for such a little guy. 
I am glad I didn't take the easy option and put him back into his cot.
Thanks once again, this website is great for all the support that is given. 
Sometimes you think you are the only one going through these problems.

Maxine
A very proud mummy of her big boy.  :D

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:07:40 am »
I am soooo happy to hear that he is getting back on track!

Enjoy the sleep!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 03:22:16 am »
Go Benjamin!

Offline Benjaminsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 21:59:00 pm »
Its me again, it was all going so well.  He was up at 4.30am this morning and would he go back to bed? No he wouldn't!!  :x
Its like I have a rope attached to me and him, everytime I leave his bedroom he is right behind me.
Tonight it has taken 2 hours to get him to sleep, constant picking him up and putting into bed.  In the end I had to sit with him until he fell asleep.
I think his 2nd lot of molars have also decided to make an appearance as well (may explain the bad nappies earlier in the week).
I am sorry to say, I think that we will be putting back up the side of his cot tomorrow. 
I think i will be leaving it a couple of months while he gets back into a good sleeping pattern and maybe a couple of teeth later and try again.
We go on holiday in June so would like to be cot free by then.
I don't think he is quite ready for a big boy bed, but i am sure he will tell me when he is.  I am not in any hurry really, bless him.
Thanks again for the support. 

Maxine  :D

Offline Benjaminsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 22:00:46 pm »
Just re-read my post from before - Looks like I am taking the easy option after all!!!!!

:roll:

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 22:41:43 pm »
Hello there!

I do not think you are taking the easy option at all!! My ds is almost 3 and STILL in his crib. He is happy as a clam in it. We do have a big boy bed but just need to get the mattress but I am really in no hurry. I have read that many "experts" recommend waiting for this transition until they are closer to three anyway--just depends on your child's temperament!

Good luck and good sleep vibes!
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
MOVING INTO A BIG BED
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 04:50:22 am »
I feel like I'm always saying the same thing on the big bed topic... but here goes. I am totally up for keeping my second in her crib as long as possible (hopefully at least 3!!!) My 4-yr-old loved his big bed at 2 1/2, but he had horrible sleep problems with it for quite awhile, especially getting out of bed over and over and over... so I would completely support your decision to go with the crib for awhile longer. What's the hurry?
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001