Author Topic: Should I wake or let him fuss while asleep  (Read 781 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Should I wake or let him fuss while asleep
« on: January 02, 2006, 16:56:40 pm »
Now that DS has found his thumb, our nightwakings are considerably reduced. He still needs to eat at least once a night however. He was fussing terribly in his sleep between 3am and 4am this morning, having last eaten at 7pm (DFs don't work for us unfortunately  :cry:). As he was sucking on his thumb he was never quite waking up, but was wobbling the hammock, turning his head from side to side, letting out cries and whimpers, before falling asleep for another five minutes or so.

I wrestled with whether to try to feed him given that with a full tummy I suspect he'd fall back into a deeper sleep. Unfortunately he woke up fully when I picked him up, and then thought that it was time to play for the day. I kept things very low key; sure enough, he drank a full tummy of milk, but then it took a while to persuade him back to sleep.

Should I have let him sleep?

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 17:09:10 pm »
My humble opionion only is that if he took a full feed, it was good that you got him up and fed him - even if it took a while for him to resettle.  His sleep could have been fitful from 4am until 7am (or when you start his day) and I don't think that's restful sleep.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 18:03:37 pm »
i would have let him sleep till he got up and demanded food. 

but honestly, i think casey & i are both 'correct'. 

big lot of help we are, huh?  :P  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy