Author Topic: Early Wakings for 16 mos. old  (Read 1293 times)

Offline trixie123us

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 02, 2006, 21:40:12 pm »
My husband and I have implemented Tracy's techniques from day 1 with our son Shane.  He has been a very good sleeper from the time he was 6 weeks old.  He is now 16 months and, up until about a month or so ago, he was pretty consistent with his sleep schedule.  He was going to bed between 7 and 7:30 pm and would wake anywhere from 6:30 to 7am.  He was taking two naps: morning 9:30 to 10:30am and 2:30 to 3:30pm.

About a month ago, he started dropping his second (afternoon) nap. On certain days, I just couldn't get him to go down for anything which was very unusual.  The pediatrician said he was probably morphing into his 1 nap a day but to follow his lead. 

But, at the same time, he started walking too. 

Now, he goes to bed at the same time and takes one nap from about 11am to 1pm (give or take a bit on both ends).  However, the problem is that he is waking up around 5-5:30am now.  He used to just play in his crib for about an hour but now he cries (no tears) until we go in and get him.  I'm relunctant to let him cry too long because we live in an  apartment and the neighbor's son shares the common wall.

Needless to say, we do go in and get him.  Shane will not go back to sleep if we bring him to bed with my husband and I, so one of us has to get up with him and start the day.

I'm not sure what to do. Do you think he's excited to be up and walking around? Regardless, I know I've already done some accidental parenting by going in and getting him right away. I want to nip this problem in the bud before it goes on any longer.  I'd like for him to sleep a bit longer because he obviously needs it because he's not meeting Tracy's sleep totals for his age.  Or, if he does wake up early, I'd like for him to be able to entertain himself for a while in his crib. No more crying.  I'm not sure if I should go back to two naps??? (He did happen to take two naps yesterday -- 2 1/2 hours total) and was up at 5:15 am again this morning.  Or should I put something new (crib toy, etc) in his crib to occupy him?

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Sincerely,
Mom with dark circles :wink:

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Early Wakings for 16 mos. old
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 22:31:25 pm »
When we transitioned to 1 nap, we went through a period of early wakings. I bet it's a combination of the transition to 1 nap plus the excitement over walking and moving around the crib. I wouldn't count hours too much when your lo is going through a new milestone. I would as little of the accidental parenting as possible, and just realize it's a phase. This is coming from someone who has gotten up every day for the last 2 weeks at 5:30, so take it as it is! I also have to get up right away with my early riser so she doesn't wake up my 4-yr-old! So I know what you're going through.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 15:57:20 pm »
Did you try an earlier bedtime?  He may be a bit overtired with the one nap and need to go down at bit earlier.  If that doesn't help try keeping the same bedtime but pushing the nap back a bit.  Eleven is a bit early for a nap if you are aiming for a 7 am wakeup.  Maybe try to gradually push the nap back to 12 or 12:30.  My dd had early wakeups when she was still taking 2 naps and pushing the morning back later moved her w/u from 5 am to 6:15 :D

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Early Wakings for 16 mos. old
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 19:26:15 pm »
I'd try an earlier bedtime too.  We had the same problem as well.  And it really corrected itself once his bedtime was earlier (we're talking 6pm).  It made a huge difference.  He would end up sleeping til 6:30am or 7am.  If he did wake up earlier, it was only for a few minutes and he'd go right back to sleep.  Sleep begets sleep!  Try that for 3-4 days in a row though to really see results.

Good luck!

Offline trixie123us

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 19:57:41 pm »
:D Thank Mamas,
I took a bit of your advice and my lo is now waking up around 6:45am.  Not bad compared to a 5 am wake-up call.
Many thanks,
Mama Trixie