Author Topic: When does A time begin and end?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
When does A time begin and end?
« on: January 02, 2006, 22:40:41 pm »
I am trying to extend Gage's A time from 1 hour to 1.25+. He starts whining after 45 min of being up and then farts around in his crib for 30 to 40 min until falling asleep. He looves his crib and would be in there all day if I let him.  So is his A time already at 1 hr 40 min.?

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 05:06:46 am »
I tend to think of it the length of time that the child is awake.  So at the moment my dd has just lengthened her activity time from 2.5hrs (she's 9mths), she was taking 30mins to get her to go to sleep after previously falling asleep within 5mins of being put in her cot.  So to me that meant that she was capable of having the extra 30mins added to her activity time.  So, yes (after all that long-winded explanation  :wink: ) I think that you're over the 1.5hr mark if it's taking that long for him to go  to sleep.  Of course if you think he's getting overstimulated and overtired by that time it's not the optimal time to be awake.  It sounds like maybe he likes that time to himself to winddown on his own and that's great, nothing wrong with that.  I would keep him up with you though for as long as possible so you don't end up with him being in his cot for too much activity time by himself.

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:37:36 am »
Do you think a child could be UNDERstimulated. We NEVER leave the house due to his short A time. Seriously he has left the house probably 3 times this whole month :oops:

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 06:45:49 am »
Not at that age I wouldn't think.  There isn't a lot that you need to do activity wise and they don't really "get" stuff (as in cause and effect) until closer to 6+mths.  As long as you're reading books, talking about everything you do, explain household stuff as you go about your day etc it's all stimulation and entertainment at that age.

HTH :)

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:24:05 am »
Thank you for your help.