Author Topic: Tips for waking 3 week old from nap - am I crazy?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Jackson's new mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tips for waking 3 week old from nap - am I crazy?
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:05:20 am »
I'm hoping someone can help me. I read the baby whisperer books before I had our baby who is now a little over 3 weeks. My issue is waking him from his day time naps or sleeps as I like to call them. He will go for more than 4 hours between feeds if I let him and when I have let him I pay for it at night where he takes over 60min to go to sleep but sleeps about 1.5 hours when he finally gets there. He was 8lb 1oz at birth (10 days early) and has gained his birth weight back before 2 weeks. I believe he's feeding well because he wees and poos between each feed and once I get him down (anywhere from 15min to 60min) he sleeps for more than 2 hours (again if I let him). My issue is that if I wake him (after 3.5 hours max between feeds) he struggles with his feed. I don't want to startle him awake but have been going in 15min early, opening the blinds, opening his swaddle, talking to him, rubbing his palms, then picking him up and changing his nappy but after 5min of feeding he's asleep again and I struggle with him through the feed. I feel really lucky that he does sleep but don't want him to start swapping day time naps for night time sleeps or start having one long sleep and then taking forever to get asleep at the next time. Does anyone have any tips for waking him kindly but properly?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Tips for waking 3 week old from nap - am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 05:04:03 am »
Hi and congrats on your new baby!  :)  :)

Maybe the others will have some ideas but a couple things came to mind... after the routine you are currently doing have you tried going outside for a good bit of fresh air (If you can where you live).  Sorry if you have thought of these:

-sit in really bright spot
-put a cool wash cloth on his head or neck (not so nice though :shock: )
-hold him upright so that his feet don't touch anything (i was told by my nurse that wee LOs hate not feeling a surface under them)...does that make sense?

That is all i can think of just now, hope it helps.