Author Topic: Doctor says no allergy but I am suspect  (Read 1166 times)

Offline LHightower

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Doctor says no allergy but I am suspect
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:29:25 am »
Hello everyone,

My 12 month old son has developed a very red bum with red dots after having tried a variety of new foods over the holidays.  (i.e. wheat toast, little bits of chicken, cake & ice cream, pasta, etc.)  I admit that I did not follow the 4 day wait rule as we were traveling for two weeks and it was just easier to give him some of what I was eating.   :oops:   Now I am having a very hard time getting rid of the red dots and am not sure what exactly caused them to begin with.  (one dose of Benedryl & some Aveeno oatmeal baths cleared up the redness)  Any thoughts?

I should also mention that he has been drinking cow's milk and eating yogurt for about a month so I don't think dairy is the problem.  Plus, his Pediatrician said that most dairy allergies are in the form of constipation, etc.  which has not been a problem.  In addition, I am still nursing him 2x a day but plan to wean by the end of January.

I really don't want to stop giving him "fun" finger foods (like toast, pasta, etc.) because he seems to really enjoy them.  However, I am thinking that this is what I have to do to determine what the problem is...any advice on this matter would be most appreciated!
Mommy to Jonathan
Born:  December 16, 2004

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 15:15:38 pm »
Since there is no other way to know what caused the break-out, it would be good to go back to the stuff you know is fine, and add the new stuff one at a time.  The stress and excitement of traveling might have contributed a touch as well.  What diaper cream do you use?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 15:21:22 pm »
I have to agree. I would go back to his previous diet and start from there again with one food at a time.

Was he exposed to new soaps, laundry detergent, etc. while traveling? Any of those could be the culprit as well.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline LHightower

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 17:43:46 pm »
Thank you both for your response~ as for the diaper cream, I have always used Desitin for EVERY diaper change which is why this rash is so surprising.  All of his detergent, shampoo, etc. is the same as at home, too.  So, unfortunately, I think you both are right... it will have to be back to the basics for us.   :?  I was just hoping to avoid going backwards with his foods since he was really enjoying all of the new ones.  Oh well...
Mommy to Jonathan
Born:  December 16, 2004

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 18:20:36 pm »
Quote from: LHightower
  I was just hoping to avoid going backwards with his foods since he was really enjoying all of the new ones.  Oh well...

I hear ya........ :roll: been there. :roll:  :roll:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05