Author Topic: Lunchtime Nap - PU/PD is making it worse!  (Read 985 times)

Offline emilyjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Lunchtime Nap - PU/PD is making it worse!
« on: January 03, 2006, 14:39:39 pm »
I expect this is something that has been discussed many times so I hope you will bear with me.

My daughter is 14.5 months old and we are at that transition stage where she doesn't seem to need two naps a day any more and I am trying to give her one long nap at lunchtime. The problem is she wakes after about 1hr15mins crying. I leave her for a while until it becomes obvious (I think!) that she won't settle herself.

Two days ago I determined to try PU/PD when she woke. The result? she was hysterical: hitting her head against the cot and screaming. It got to the point that she didn't want me to pick her up at all and she just kept flinging herself on her tummy. Last night she woke in the night and I want to her (again after allowing her a chance to settle herself, which she has always done in the past). As soon as she saw me she cried much more and flung herself on her tummy. And the same happened at lunchtime today.

I'm at a loss to know what to do. From all that I've read, I know if she cries when she wakes up is it because she needs longer sleep. Am I going into her too soon? Or too late? Is the hysteria and tummy throwing normal in PU/PD? If so how do people cope? I find it very distressing, especially when she starts banging her head.

If anyone has some advice please let me know!

Thanks

Emily
Emily James

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 21:18:17 pm »
Hello Emily,

I don't have much advice for you, I'm afraid, as my ds is younger and we haven't reached this problem (yet :wink: ). But if you think it's a 2 to 1 transition that is the problem, I wanted to direct you to this thread:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/2-to-1-how-what-when-and-the-bumpy-ride-vt46020.html

I think it may be some use to you.

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline emilyjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:36:20 am »
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for this thread - very ueful!

Emily
Emily James