Author Topic: HOw many naps at 6mos old?  (Read 992 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2006, 17:21:53 pm »
DS just turned 6mos old and takes 2- 1:15 and 1- 45min nap every day.    He can last only 2 hours in btwn naps.
My nephew is a month younger and takes only 2naps a day, but I think DS is a bit more tired because he started crawling.

Obviously I know every baby is different, but I'm just wondering what other 6mos olds are doing for naps...

Is it time for us to extend time btwn naps??

Gigismom

HOw many naps at 6mos old?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 17:38:27 pm »
my dd took 3 naps until she was about 9 months old.  i'd say if your baby seems happy, then go with the 3 naps and be happy for 3 breaks!  :wink:   

he will let you know when he is ready to drop the third nap.  my dd started taking longer and longer to fall asleep at that nap, then she would just play the whole time in her crib.  so when she started doing that, we increased her awake times so that she only took 2 naps per day.  just my experience...

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
HOw many naps at 6mos old?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 21:37:22 pm »
You sound like you are doing fine. My ds has only recently dropped his 3rd nap, he has needed it up until then, and still sometimes needs it if we've had a busy day, or he's been particularly active.

Congratulations on the great nap lengths :D  So many people here are struggling with this, it's great to see that it can be done.

With regards to whether it's time to extend A time, your lo is the best gauge of that. Signs are if he's starting to be more difficult to get to sleep for his naps, or if his naps start to be cut short. It's always best to increase A time in increments, usually of around 10-15 mins. Any more could result in an overtired & cranky lo (and Mum :wink: ).

This post might be interesting to you:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/typical-hours-of-sleep-for-ages-1-week-to-6-years-vt3195.html

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston