Author Topic: Inconsistent Sleep and Eat Needs  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Inconsistent Sleep and Eat Needs
« on: January 03, 2006, 17:56:44 pm »
DD is 10.5 WO and we've been following 3hr EASY.  But, for the last week she's dropped her intake at each feed, dropped her total daily intake and can go a LONG time between feeds.  We were visiting family and I lost track of time and she went over 5 hours.  I freaked out and fed her and she just lolled the bottle around in her mouth.  Took a couple of ounces, but she should have been starving!  (Didn't affect nighttime sleep either.)

So, I'm thinking that we should move to 3.5 hr EASY or 4 hr EASY.  But, she's so young!  Tracy says 4hr for a 4 MO.  And, DD doesn't seem to be able to handle the longer awake times of 4 hr EASY.

She's always been a healthy girl, born 9.25 pounds and over 13 pounds now.  She's over the 95 percentile in everything.  Could she be physically ready for a longer EASY, but not ready developmentally?  What would you do?  Any thoughts?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 18:45:41 pm »
Hello!   :D

Here are some signs of needing to transition:
1. Not taking as much at a feed (baby not as hungry at 3 hours)
2. Erratic Night Wakings
3. They are extending their awake times
4. Starts taking 45 minute naps

With that said, it does sound like she will be able to go longer than 3 hours in between.  Zoe could younger than 4 months as well.  Tracy's book is a guideline for the average, but every baby is different.  It also is not uncommon for babies to go through little phases where they eat less.   Too funny on your 5 hr story, because the same thing happened with Zoe.  I thought for sure she would be ravenous, but nope  :lol:   You could play around with it a little bit trying 3.5 to 4 hrs and see how it works.  When transitioning, you may find each day to be a little different.  She may go 4 hrs one day and only 3.5 the next.  Some days you may end up feeding before a nap if her A time isn't quite up to the 4 hr eating schedule - this is ok as long as she isn't using the breast/bottle to fall asleep - and may end up happening a few times until she gets a little older.

HTH  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 20:01:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I know the books are "averages" but 10 weeks just seemed too young for such a span.  After posting, I decided to experiment.  I was able to get her into the second sleep cycle so her morning nap as a good 90+ minutes.   When she woke up, we did some A time, then she got fussy so we ate at the 3.5 hr mark.  Only 1 ounce - probably out of habit, thinking when I wake up, I eat.  I didn't force it, and at the 4 hr mark - almost exactly - she was hungry and ate over 4 ounces, bringing her feed total back up to over 5 ounces (it's been down for days).  Then, I was able to extend the second A time to 1.5 hours but she was watcing TV!   :oops:   She seems to be fascinated by it!  I guess I'll have to pop in the Baby Einstein videos.  Or at least switch to 'G' Rated shows.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 21:30:33 pm »
Hi, Casey.  At this time of new developments with your lo's eating habits, I would recommend keeping a journal of her sleeps, feeds, and A times.  That way, you will probably be able to see a pattern develop and be able to set your new "routine".  Of course, nothing has to be set in stone, and each feed doesn't have to be exactly 4 hrs to the dot in between.  Just as Noelle mentioned, you may have some different times during the day, and each day could be different for a little while.
When my dd napped past her regular feed time one day and I lost track of time myself, this was when we dropped a feed and shifted to a 4 hour schedule.  It was very similar to your experience.
Best wishes!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007