Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1001 times)

Offline ma_baker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New to the forum
« on: January 03, 2006, 18:37:47 pm »

Hi, I am new to the forum. And I'd like to ask a question, which might have been already asked a zillion times before. Please excuse that I am too lazy and too tired to look through all the pages.

My daughter Bianca is 19 months old. She sleeps from about 8:00 p.m. to about 7:00 a.m. in the morning with about 2 interruptions, sometimes 3. As I have only a small flat she sleeps in my bed. So, I guess, the first interruption occurs, when I go to bed, which might wake her up. The second one might be hunger (she usually wakes at about 5). We also have sort of an evening ritual, e.g. dinner, play in bedroom quietly together or read a book, then I change her into her pyjamas and then I make a bottle of milk. She then is allowed to switch off all lights and goes to bed easily, BUT - here it comes, thanks for your patience for reading so far -

She won't go down without a bottle or without me lying there right next to her or, when daddy is putting her to sleep, without him rocking her. I know we have developed a bad habit here. During the night she goes back to sleep also only on the bottle. I assume she is not really thirsty, she just wants to suck, which, however, is also bad for her teeth.

I am a bit fed up which having to lie right next to her.

So, question: how do I get her to fall asleep on her own, preferably without bottle. Should I try to get her to fall asleep first without me or try to wean her off the bottle first ???

Nap time is the same - she only goes to sleep with a bottle.

I don't want to introduce dummies that late now.

Can anybody help, please ??

Thanks a lot.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 19:48:00 pm »
hi,

i'm going to pop your question over to the Toddler sleep board, where they will have better ideas for you.  i would also recommend that you check out our Props forum, where you can read advice about weaing various props.   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
New to the forum
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 01:06:50 am »
Hello,

First off welcome to the site!  Second, are you familiar with Tracy's methods and philosophies?  I would really suggest her third and most recent book, as she handles situations in it like yours.

Post back and let us know.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com