Author Topic: Vacation took away my milk?  (Read 694 times)

Offline jennifere

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2006, 21:12:12 pm »
Our family has just returned from a 10 day vacation where I exclusively nursed my almost 7 month old ds.  I work full time, and prior to vacation, I was able to pump about 8-10 oz / day.  Since returning to work yesterday, I am barely able to pump 3 oz / day.

I breastfed my two year old for 12 months (but worked only part-time), and have set the same 12 month goal for my youngest.  I especially would like to continue to nurse through the winter months when he's most likely to get sick.  He does eat three solid meals each day in addition to the five breastfeeds/bottles each day.

Is this simply a matter of my body readjusting to the pump?  Has my pump given up on me?  Or is Peyton not getting enough milk?  It certainly seems plentiful when he nurses.  Can you offer any advice to get us through the next five months?
Jennifer E.

My boys...
Ethan 10.03.2003 and Peyton 06.05.2005

annamum

Vacation took away my milk?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 21:43:28 pm »
I know that many moms complain that suddenly they can't pump much any more. I think it is natural that your body adjusts to a demand and produces only as much as is needed. In your case, it is possible that your body unlearnt to pump since you were not using your pump for some time. It is also important to understand that your little one has much better means to express your milk than a pump. I would say, as long as he seems satisfied, and that is what you are saying, your supply is probably fine.

If you want to increase it to be able to pump for him, you may want to try using Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. These are herbs known for centuries to increase supply in lactating women. You can also read this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html