Author Topic: 11 month old starting to self wean  (Read 1120 times)

Offline leannew

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old starting to self wean
« on: January 03, 2006, 21:54:05 pm »
hi

My 11 month old girl bf in the am, at aprox 2 pm and has a bottle of formula at bedtime.  She has about 2 - 3 servings of dairy a day but hasnt really taken to milk yet.  Just started. For the last 2 weeks or so she hasnt been interested in the 2pm bfeed and when she does eat it is only a bit.  The morning feed is fine.  I would like to drop the 2 pm as I never seem to have time to do it and she doesn't really seem to care if she gets it or not but I am worried whether she is getting enough milk and/or dairy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

annamum

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 22:32:02 pm »
I think you would need to provide her with an equivalent of your milk for those dropped feeds. If you get an OK from your pediatrician you can offer her cow's milk from a cup, eventually she will learn to drink it. If not, offer her formula, just like you do for the nighttime feed.

The best bet would be to talk to your pediatrician or a nurse on stuff about her nutrition and what would be the best solution for now. Certainly, one breastfeeding per day won't be enough for her at that moment.

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 23:03:28 pm »
At 11 months on the days that I worked I was down to just 2 bf/day.  a morning and one before bed.  i provided nursery with 2x7oz bottles of formula and he used to take both of them.

This was in addition to having normal cows milk on cereal / making cheese sauce / custard - some days using formula too.

On days that I didn't work I was down to 3 feeds a day, having dropped the 11am.  The 2pm was still there. If I remember correctly it got later at about 3.30. 

If she doesn't care for a 2pm bf and you aren't able to keep fitting it in, could you offer her formula at this time, like you do at bedtime, knowing that she will take formula. 

alex

Offline leannew

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:01:49 am »
Hi

She doesnt want to take breast milk or formula from a sippy cup and I dont want to giveher another bottle as I dont want to start her on more bottles, I would just rather keep bfeeding her until she can replace it with cow's milk.  I am worried because she doesn't really drink much at the 2 pm feed even when we have lots of time.  When I talked to a lactation nurse about whether she would be ok with 2 bfeedings a day because she didn't want to take formula originally and I cant pump at work she said that even if she only nursed 2 times a day and got enough calcium in other ways she would be ok.  So I am wondering if the 1 bfeed and the 1 formula a day would be enough. I wanted to know what other people thought before dropping that feeding.

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 13:10:02 pm »
Hi

When my daughter was 11 months I was told I could drop one of her breast feeds and replace it with cows milk as long as it had been completly boiled 30 mins before giving it to her. My daughter also and even now at alomost 14 months want drink milk out of a cup so she has 1 cows milk drink at her lunch time nap in a bottle and 2 breast feeds along with cheese, yoghurts and custard every day and milk on her ceral. Aslong as she is getting the equivelent of a pint of milk a day she will be ok with only 1 breast and 1 formula a day. You might have a but one of every style of cup their is you can get until you find a cup she will drink from. I have tried advent, timmee toppee, little wonder, boots, superdrug, tescos, morrison, asda, aldas and mothercares style of cups and now she has 2 cups and 4 different styles of sports bottles that she will use.
Alison

mother of two: