Author Topic: milk supply?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Meller

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
milk supply?
« on: January 04, 2006, 00:36:56 am »
A new day a new problem. My son is 16weeks old and I try to keep him on a 3 1/2 routine. first feed at 8am. his 11:30 sometimes not interested then eats at 3pm well. then at 6:30pm. usually well. I try to cluster before bed but won't eat at around 7:30-8. I do a dream feed at 10:30 -11pm. usually eats like a champ.Last night he woke at 5am but then slept till 7:30 and ate. I feel like sometimes I don't have enough for him but never seems starving.....then to my surprise today I got my period! Sorry if TMI. Is this normal?...Him not interested in eating as well as my flow?

Mel

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
milk supply?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 00:58:28 am »
Your period can (apparently!) affect the taste of your milk, and it can definitely reduce your supply temporarily.  So this may well be happening.  But also, when you get to this age, your breasts don't tend to feel as full anymore and babies tend to nurse faster, so you might just feel like you have less milk, but you actually don't. 

As for the cluster feeds, at this age, it often makes more sense to do them late afternoon rather than evening.  The afternoon feeds might be 2.5 or 3 hrs apart and the morning ones a bit farther.  But a lot of babies drop the cluster feeding by this age too.  If you're doing a dreamfeed and he's eating well then as well as the other feeds, he might not need any extra clustering.  I'd give it until your period stops and see what's happening then. HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Meller

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
milk supply?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:36:39 am »
Thanks for the info!!! muchly appreciated! Mel