Author Topic: Transitioning to 1 Nap  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Transitioning to 1 Nap
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:41:06 am »
I have a question... how long did it take for most of you guys to transition to one nap? I am not sure if I have been doing something wrong. We went to one nap great right around 12 mo. Then a month later after a trip she went back to 2 naps for over or so. Then we finally went back to one nap. Problem lies that most of the time she can't make it very long in the morning and goes down early around 10. Today she was so tired I put her down at 9 and had to try three times so we could get a second nap because she only slept an hour the first time (which I haven't done in awhile). I feel like I am doing something wrong. She still seems so tired. Any advice or suggestions?

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Transitioning to 1 Nap
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 20:46:20 pm »
I have read that for some kids it can take awhile. So one day may be 1 nap, then the next 2 naps, etc. For me, we went to 1 nap at 13 months because we were having to work too hard for the 2nd nap. So it wasn't even worth trying for a second. However, some babies really need the 2 naps til closer to 18 months.

If you want to just go to 1 nap consistently now, I would try to keep your lo up til at least 10:30 or 11, by slowly (15 minute increments) moving her nap time back. So if she can go til 10 tomorrow, then 10:15 the next day, etc. Also, the duration should slowly lengthen as well. My dd only napped 1 or 1 1/2 hours for the first few weeks of the 1 nap transition, but then she consistently went to 2+ hours.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Transitioning to 1 Nap
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 22:47:39 pm »
THe 2-1 nap transition for us took close to 2 months (at age 16-18 months)  to finally settle and then he would fall asleep in the car at around 10/10:30 if I or the babysitter was out and about--so it can take awhile! Our problem was that he would wake so early when overtired and then wanted his nap too early. But by the time he was 20-21 months and his molars finally all came in, we settled into a more "normal" routine with a good 2 hour nap (previously he was only sleeping 1-1.5 hours and waking up crying).

I would try and avoid car rides at 10 am in the morning and try for some outside play time or a snack to help your little one last.

Good luck!
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Transitioning to 1 Nap
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:18:44 am »
Thank you all for your advice. I do appreciate it. It is just so hard not knowing what to do day to day. Today we met some friends at the park around 10 and stayed until 11. Then got home in time for a little lunch and she went down at 11:30 til..... almost 2:30!!!! Maybe we should go to the park every day! But she did wake up late at 7a instead of her normal 6a so was able to make it until 10 to get there. I guess we will just be one of those that take awhile to transition!

Offline Jessi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Transitioning to 1 Nap
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:12 am »
I second the advice about getting out of the house to help your little one last longer.  I take my ds to the park almost daily in the am or else he wants to take his nap too soon.  He's 21 months and 11:30 is a stretch for him.  He wakes anywhere between 6 and 7:30 am.  Anyway, definitely try to extend the awake time slowly and be ready for inconsistencies.  Good luck!