Author Topic: Mixing breast milk and formula  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Lewis'mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mixing breast milk and formula
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:34:45 am »
I was just wondering - is it OK to put breast milk and formula in one bottle? My DS is 12 weeks and is BF during the day, but his DF is from the bottle. I express milk for this feed, but only ever get around 100ml, so I top him off with formula. The problem is that once he's taken the breast milk and I swop bottles, he loses interest and I think I may have better luck if I keep the feed to one bottle. Do I have to make this all formula in order to do this, or can I put the top up formula feed in with my breast milk? Logically I don't see why I can't do this as it mixes in his tummy anyway???

Also, I was wondering how much feed he should be taking at the DF. He feeds every 3 hours at the moment for about 10-15 minutes each feed and is currently drinking about 120 / 130ml at the DF (when I can keep him interested in the second bottle). This doesn't seem enough to me, especially as he wakes at 1:30 (although settles back without a feed), then at 4:30 (has a feed), then on and off until 7am. I'm dying for him to sleep through so any tips on this would be great!

Lastly, can someone clarify for me what it means when people say their baby settles himself to sleep? Does this just mean being put in the crib awake and going to sleep without being held? Or does it mean he can go to sleep without a dummy? My DS goes down awake, but needs his dummy and some gentle stroking of his head to go to sleep. Weaning off the dummy is the next project as I think this may help his waking in the night.

Sorry to ramble - it's my first proper post so have many questions! This forum is turning into a life-saver for me.
Michaela - Mum to Lewis, our textbook baby, born 11th October 2005

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:59:05 pm »
Hi their

From what I have read in your post I would say he does not need the top up formula as he is only taking at least another 20 ml which in some babies is the equivalent of 2 month fulls of breast breastmilk.

He is feeding well and being on feeds every 3 hours is fantastic. Also going to sleep with a dummy and stroking on the head is amazing for a 12 week old and the night waking is brilliant as well but you might find with in the next month- 2 months he is going to demand more milk as he is coming to the age of beginning to show interest in weaning even though the giveremtn say to leave them on breast until they are 6 months.

If you do what to continue with breast and formula you can mix them as long as the breast and formula are at the same temperature when they are mixed as otherwise they will both seperate.

Antway keep up the hard work with the breast feeding it is the best thing in the world for both of you.
Alison

mother of two:

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 19:40:54 pm »
As for mixing, I'd say you probably just want him to get all the breastmilk and have to use as little formula as possible? That is why I'd feed the bm first, and only top off if I have to.

I think everyone's idea of "settling to sleep by himself" is different, just like everyone has a different idea of "sleeping through the night".  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Lewis'mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 19:53:15 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement and words of advice Alison and Stacy. Sometimes all we need is for someone to say we're doing OK! I think I will carry on keeping them separate and trust Lewis to take the formula if he needs it.
Thanx again
Michaela - Mum to Lewis, our textbook baby, born 11th October 2005