Author Topic: Human pacifier  (Read 1105 times)

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:51:55 am »
Hello, I am new here. I just finished the book and i must admit i dont think i understand how to implement it... but that aside... my son is 10 weeks old. He had had a rough 10 weeks... he has been admitted to the hospital several times for high bilirubin and then we discovered the problem was with his heart. He underwent open heart surgery on 13 december and did amazingly well. He came home a week later but had to be admitted again for a resp virus. Now he is home again. He has always taken to the breast well. no latch problems. But now all he wants to do is eat it seems. He is both breast and bottle fed due to the stress of everything and problems gaining weight. He prefers breast thougn. He feeds about every 1-1.5 hrs in the day. I cant tell his cries apart... so i feed him and he always eats... he does not nap enough but how do you force a 10 week ild to sleep? the past 3 nighs he refuses to sleep in his bed and cries horribly... HELP! how do i fix this????

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Human pacifier
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:44:54 pm »
Hi prncss

I have just answered your post about I am confused.

At 10 weeks your baby is having a growth spurt and because of the problems he has had in his short time of life he will be looking for comfort and reasurrence.

Is his cot in your bed room? If not put his cot in your room next to your side of the bed and put a night light near the cot as this can be soothing. Also because of the problemsa you have experience with him you would have not really had the time to learn his cries. In one of tracy hoggs books, (Iam not sure which one it is) she says to stand back and look at what your baby is doing. I could never work out my daughters cries but it ended up that she was in pain most of the time as she has baby heart (gastric reflux) burn which left her feel unhappy because of the burning pain she had in her chest from the stomach acid when she had a reflux attack.

Keep up the hard work and with him enjoying the breast feeds more than the bottle feeds, even though it means more work for you could youu try just giving him the breast every 1-2 hours but give him both breasts at each feed and their is a possibility that this might help him and he might become a lot more relaxed and he might start sleeping better. And even though peopole say try not to get in this situation you could try breastfeeding him to sleep and leave him at the breast until he falls off?

Keep us posted on how he is and I hope the little chap does not have anymore problems so that you can get to know him a lot more as you will then learn to tell the cries apart.

Sometyhing else you could do is change his nappy and will you are doing this cheack that he does not feel to hot or cold. Also because of his have a bottle you might what to see your doctor to check that he does not have colic as this makes them very grumpy and restless.
Alison

mother of two:

annamum

Human pacifier
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 23:14:38 pm »
I would say that due to his health problems and stay in a hospital your milk supply is low thus if he nurses he probably finds it not sufficient so naturally he wants to increase it. Breastfeeding works on demand=supply rule and if you want to continue, it is in your and his best interest to work on your supply issues right away. If you spend a few days now nursing around the clock he will probably start going longer than 2 hours between your feeds soon. Remember that Tracy's rule applies to healthy newborns, yours has had a tremendous amount of health problems, he needs to make up for the time in hospital and without you.

As for his sleep problems I am not an expert on that, hopefully he needs to understand that this is his home now, he is probably very much confused and distressed due to all this changes in his short life. My only advice is to provide him with as little stimulation, early bedtime and a good night routine and consistency and love, of course.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Human pacifier
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:31:48 am »
Poor little guy - not an easy way to start out, that's for sure! 

Some great advice already.  Just take it one step at a time.  Make sure he's getting full feeds when he nurses - really emptying your breast.  You can use breast compression if he starts to slow down.  Are you using both sides?  It can be helpful to really stimulate your production and for weight gain.  Don't worry about not being able to recognize his cries - I didn't for MONTHS!  His nursing should settle down after a bit - once he's put on some of the weight after the hospital, he'll probably stretch out his feeds a bit.

To get started on EASY, you're aiming to feed after waking and not to sleep, if possible.  Remember too, that his activity time will be fairly short at this age - probably less than an hour, I think. So before that hour is done, start the wind down for a nap - or earlier if he starts yawning or rubbing his eyes. That can help with recognising if he needs to nurse too - if he's been up for a while, it may be more likely that he's tired. If he gets good sleeps during the day, he'll sleep better at night.  Monika's right about having a quiet routine at bedtime too - some babies love a warm bath.  Do you swaddle him?  He might find that comforting at night - make him feel enclosed and more secure.  White noise might also help.  There was probably more light at noise in the hospital and they often tend to swaddle there (at least here they do), so the idea of a nightlight (maybe) and some white noise could be reassuring - you could try a fan or humidifier or static on the radio.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 18:50:06 pm »
thank you for the help! I do have his cot next to my bed... it is a basket. I do feed on both sides and i dont swaddle him because he hates it... he cries hystericaly! I guess i will stick with this until i see a change... I talked to his heart doctor today and he assured me that as soon as he is better his feeds should space out. I will stick it out.

Thanks for the support and advice. It is so helpful to know that I am not alone.

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]